Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

5-spd tranny question

65-StingRay

Corvette
1965 BB StingRay coupe black with maroon 67 hood
I was wondering if anyone out there who has a 5-spd in their car could answer this...when you shift from 1st to 2nd during a big shift, how far does the tach drop? 1500,2000, 2300? more? Does 2nd gear have a big pull through the torque range? I know it's not like a close ratio trans that's why I'm asking.
I have been thinking of buying a Tremec 5-spd tranny kit from Keisler Auto and throwing the original trans. in the garage. I've waited a long time for a 5-spd kit that just bolts in. What I would really love is a 6-spd that bolts right in without any cutting of the crossmember or trans tunnel.
Hope this pic of my car gets thru.

65-StingRay

I have a TKO and never really noticed, but will check it out tomorrow. The gear splits are real good in the TKO. (the heavy duty tremec). I sometimes just use 1,3,5 when I am just cruising.

real nice picture of your Vette

I'm still enjoying the row thru the gears but the split is very nice. BTW the 6 spd Richmond is not an overdrive like the Tremec.. I think that the 3k on the Keisler is well worth it... I enjoy cruising at 50mph at 1500 or 60mph at 2k. Now if I could only get rid of the secondary crossover problem I'd be golden.. The TKO is great though.. Dave..

Thanks guys. I appreciate your comments. It just brings me that much closer to getting that tranny. I can already imagine shifting gears. My wife was trying to talk to me but she said it was like I was just looking thru her not at her...dreaming of that tranny.
I phoned Keisler Auto a couple of days ago. I finally got thru to someone I could talk to. However, the news on obtaining one quickly it's not going to materialize. The reason...12 week backlog on orders.

65-StingRay

Yep could have told you that.. Shafi Keisler still has some catching up to do and I would bet that it's at least a 12 wk wait if not longer.. It took almost 16 weeks to get mine. Well worth the wait.. Dave..

it's pretty simple math........ give me your gear ratios (rear end and tires also if you want speeds)

BTW: there is a 5 speed muncie on the way........ with good gear ratios (if you're a perf guy).

Thanks for all the info guys. A 5-spd muncie on the way. All of a sudden... choices. Hey bossvette thanks for those numbers. Those rpm drops on shifts sound like lots of throttle and lots of go between gears. Gotta luv it. I'll also check out that Fortes Parts outfit. Gotta go I smell supper calling.

Have to tell ya boss is right on.. Just got back after doing some fine tuning on my carb and at 6k it falls back to about 4k still on it... I love it. I have 3:70's so first is a great out of the hole gear but if I were street racin I'd probably leave in 2nd. With the 3:70's first feels like a 4:56 rear with a Muncie.. I left the house sideways in first tonight.. I like being able to break em free at will.. Dave...

Great to here that, Dave. I have 3.36 in the back so I figured that would equal to about a 4.10 rear gear. That should be plenty with lots of big shifts in between.

I have one of Keislers Kits ordered and it should be ready in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking about selling my car (unassembled) and may sell the kit. Let me know if you want one now rather than waiting. Anyone want a 63 vert completely disassembled. Frame is powdercoated and ready for all new lines and clips, etc. I have all the parts but have lost the motivation. All the numbers match and the motor was rebuilt less than 200 miles before removed. All the car needs is the body preped and painted.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom