Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'59 wobbly mirror

LenMarshick

Corvette
1959 Black w/Red Int.
How can I cure my '59 IP mirror of the "wobblies"? I don't really want to buy another one, either NOS or repro. This is a very original car and I'd really like to keep it that way. I just want the dam(n) mirror to stay in place! Also, will I have to remove the IP pad to get to the mirror? THANKS for your anticipated brilliant responses!

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
Welcome

What is an IP mirror

LenMarshick

Corvette
1959 Black w/Red Int.
Welcome

What is an IP mirror

Thanks. It's the rear view mirror mounted on the Instrument Panel (IP) pad. I'm sorry if that sounded like "jargon". I work for an automotive Tier 1, and we all talk like that... Anyway, mirror is very loose and I'd like to get it fixed.

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
Is it loose where it mounts to the dash board or do you think its the mount where the mirror head mounts to the mast.

If I remember correctly

The mirror base has studs in it that you slide it into the holes it the dash panel and then install 2 nuts up from under the dash panel to tighten them , I would think the easiest access would be by removing the passenger side console panel and trying to in on that side

If the mast/base is firmly attached and the head is loose I would try and spin the stud that comes out of the back of the mirror to tighten it into the mirror base/mast

If its the ball mount on the mirror head that holds the stud captive I would not know how to help you correct that short of replacing the mirror head

Good Luck.

LenMarshick

Corvette
1959 Black w/Red Int.
What!? There's a stud that comes out of the the back of the mirror?!

I didn't see that. Terrific! I'll bet that's it.

Thanks! I'm on it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Parts/Accessories:

Vetteskins

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Partners

Top Bottom