Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'59 wobbly mirror

LenMarshick

Corvette
1959 Black w/Red Int.
How can I cure my '59 IP mirror of the "wobblies"? I don't really want to buy another one, either NOS or repro. This is a very original car and I'd really like to keep it that way. I just want the dam(n) mirror to stay in place! Also, will I have to remove the IP pad to get to the mirror? THANKS for your anticipated brilliant responses!

Welcome

What is an IP mirror

Welcome

What is an IP mirror

Thanks. It's the rear view mirror mounted on the Instrument Panel (IP) pad. I'm sorry if that sounded like "jargon". I work for an automotive Tier 1, and we all talk like that... Anyway, mirror is very loose and I'd like to get it fixed.

Is it loose where it mounts to the dash board or do you think its the mount where the mirror head mounts to the mast.

If I remember correctly

The mirror base has studs in it that you slide it into the holes it the dash panel and then install 2 nuts up from under the dash panel to tighten them , I would think the easiest access would be by removing the passenger side console panel and trying to in on that side

If the mast/base is firmly attached and the head is loose I would try and spin the stud that comes out of the back of the mirror to tighten it into the mirror base/mast

If its the ball mount on the mirror head that holds the stud captive I would not know how to help you correct that short of replacing the mirror head

Good Luck.

What!? There's a stud that comes out of the the back of the mirror?!

I didn't see that. Terrific! I'll bet that's it.

Thanks! I'm on it!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom