Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

6 speed shifts much better with TWS

froggy47

Corvette
Black 1996 LT4 Coupe/ 2004 Z06/Z16
I have personally done this (today) & it's a big improvement (on my car) so I'd like to pass it along.

When I got my LT4 almost 2 years ago I started with preventative maint. to make it perform as close to 100% new as I could. The 6 speed was a bit notchy/balky. I replaced the clutch slave & that helped some.

Then I replaced the gear oil with GM spec 5w-30 (dino) and that helped a little more but after a few thousand miles it was back to where it was with just the slave replaced.

Today I put Castrol TWS in and wow, it's very smooth. zfdoc turned me onto this and it now drops into gear very easy. I would not have thought a different blend (plus it's synthetic) would make so much difference.

If your 6 speed is like mine was, first verify the clutch slave/master. If it's got 50k plus miles and you believe in PM like I do then replace them.

Then treat your Vette to the Castrol TWS tranny fluid (it's the engine oil for BMW M5). You'll like it.

:D

Thanks for the info, my 6-speed doesn't shift as nice as one of my new cars and I just thought it was because of the cars age. If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you to have the clutch slave replaced?

Thx for the heads up.

Living in Phx, I was lucky enough to have the ZFDoc go through my Vette w/ a fine tooth comb. Great guy...knows his stuff.

He said (after driving the @#$! out of it) that it was one of the best C4's he'd ever driven. He said he liked it even better than his buddys' modded C5. Sure made me feel good! :D

FYI...He replaced my Master, Slave & Feed Line which made a definite difference in the feel of the clutch (not to mention...no more leak). Around 5 bills incl. labor which was a helluvalot less than dealer repair cost.

I did the labor myself, part was about $90. from Superior. I am doing master also, have the part, need to find the time. It was also about $90.

Did not do the "line" I figured it was ok, 55k miles on mine. I am slowly becoming a c4 mechanic:)

How hard and time consuming was it to change it out?

EttevroC said:
How hard and time consuming was it to change it out?

It's a little hard to say, If you have done plugs or wires or water pump or opti then I'd say not hard.

I recommend pressure bleed from the bottom to finish off with a good pedal & gm spec clutch fluid. That seems to be where people have difficulty. I had no problemmo. Phoenix v12 bleeder.

Thanks for the info. I've done some of those things on some of my past vehicles, never to a Corvette though.

EttevroC said:
Thanks for the info. I've done some of those things on some of my past vehicles, never to a Corvette though.

Time to get your feet wet:)

Bleed clutch

froggy47 said:
It's a little hard to say, If you have done plugs or wires or water pump or opti then I'd say not hard.

I recommend pressure bleed from the bottom to finish off with a good pedal & gm spec clutch fluid. That seems to be where people have difficulty. I had no problemmo. Phoenix v12 bleeder.

I would like to bleed my 1996 LT4 clutch, does anyone have the GM shop book?
Please e-mail me the instructions.

Does anyone have a 96 Corvette shop manual for sale?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom