Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

6 speed Swap

Spiderman

Corvette
Gorgeous White '91 Coupe
I would like to swap my 700r4 out for a 6 speed manual.
Anyone done this? Any write ups? Pics? Links?

I'm leaning towards the Richmond ROD, but I'm really not aware of too many other available options. Is it the ZF 6 that came stock in the manual C4's after the DN 4+3? What other 6 speed tranny's are out there and why should I go with it?

This is a factory Auto trans Vette. What do I need parts wise to convert it to a manual transmission?
Where would I source a clutch pedal assembly? Would that be a big headache to put in? Is it hydraulic? Master cylinder, etc...?
How about a bellhousing?
How about needing to swap the D36 for a D44 rear end?
What type/brand of clutch should I (or would you) run?
What else would need to be modified?

The L98 is currently stock but will be modified down the road to about the 400hp range. Possibly a 383, who knows. The factory block will stay though.

I'm not the type to send my car off to a shop and just write a check. I would prefer to most of the swap in my own garage. That by no means implies I have any desire to sacrifice quality, so I need to gather as much information on the topic as possible.

Thanks.:_rock :beer

Two of the easiest options buy every thing needed from a Corvette salvage yard or trade for a 6 speed car.

Tremec makes both a 5 speed and a 6 speed, I put a 5 speed TKO in my 76 quite a while ago got it from Fortes

No one else has any experience with this?

No one else has any experience with this?

I've done tranny swaps- TH350 to 700R4- but the principle is the same.

You'll need (at a minimum)-
The manual driveshaft
Bellhousing
Tranny
Mount
Clutch pedal and brake pedal
Clutch master cylinder
...and a plethora of small parts that no one ever seems to budget for.

The devil is in the details- otherwise, it is straight forward.

I'd say make a couple of trips to a salvage yard and take LOTS of pictures. For one thing, you can see all the parts- for another, you'll see how it all goes together.

I'd guess you can get out for under $2k- maybe cheaper if you go to a pick-a-part yard that so happens to have a vette with what you need.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom