Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

61 off frame

rgodwin

Corvette
I was considering selling my 61 and had never listed anything on ebay before. I listed it a couple weeks ago and encountered a bunch of flakes. Now I'm considering taking the body off and restoring it. I've taken old willys jeeps apart before but I'm a little apprehensive of my 61. Is it something I can tackle myself or should I leave it to a pro. rtg

I was considering selling my 61 and had never listed anything on ebay before. I listed it a couple weeks ago and encountered a bunch of flakes. Now I'm considering taking the body off and restoring it. I've taken old willys jeeps apart before but I'm a little apprehensive of my 61. Is it something I can tackle myself or should I leave it to a pro. Rtg

So there is an easy answer to this question.

A do it yourself kind of person can restore a car, you don’t need to bring it to a pro, the majority of the job can be done in a home garage but some of the things should be done by a professional with professional tools. I have done plenty of projects in my home garage so I would say YES! It can be done

Now the not so easy answer to the question ( Or the question I think I am reading into)

So it takes more then talent, knowledge, tools to restore a car

It also take time, it seams we barley have enough time for our family, friends, giving back to our communities , then having a little time left over for ourselves no less a car restoration. So if your going to commit to restoring a car make sure you’ll be able to schedule time to actually do it.

It also takes money some times lots, actually more then what you could purchase a car already done for. Don’t make the mistake of thinking its not going to be that much, Take a couple of days, determine what’s needed then get some type of a budget and decide if you want to go further. The wrong time to figure it out is when you have paid for 90% of what you thought it would be only to find out your only 25% of the way done paying for it.

It take space, you really need to be able to have a work area that you can work in,

It takes commitment
A time commitment, a money commitment, a space commitment, a energy commitment. A commitment that once you start it your going to follow it thru to the end no matter what

A plan/goal just as we would not get in our car and drive around aimlessly, we normally get in our car and say we are going to a place. We then plan out a route in our head or look at a map but no matter what you normally start the trip with a starting point and an ending point and specific plans of where your going to turn and what roads your going to take. Not just getting to the end of a road and then trying to decide, do I turn left? Do I turn right? You may end of at your destination eventually but your going to waste allot of money and energy Better to start out with a detailed plan of what you want to accomplish and how your going to get there.

Energy it takes allot of personal energy to get you thru the tough times or delays of a project

The most important thing I feel it takes to undertake a restoration project is passion, Yup passion; you must want to restore the car. And I mean a lust so strong that you just can’t wait till you done with the car and driving it. A lust that makes you can’t wait to go to sleep early on Friday night so you can get up early on Saturday to get started on the car around 6 AM

I could go on but I won’t, I would suggest if your just building this car to sell it, well then sell it now at its fair value and if you need help with the sale I am sure I could find you a buyer because chances are if you have more money invested in the car then what the current prices are of a restored car, ( its normal for a car to worth less then its restoration cost until the market catches up)

Well Best of Luck with your choice

I was trying not to get too wordy with it but some times its real diffacult for me.

Also there is an on going magazine article about one of our members cars, allthough his car is a custom cars the first part of the article outlines whats needed in the planning stages of a project

I have never done this kind of thing before and I dove head first into taking mine off and even went further with front and rear suspension changes, new 5 speed, side mount motor mounts etc etc.

I am glad I did, best thing I ever did!!! If I did it, I am convinced anyone could do it!!!

here is a link to over 500 photos of my car in various stages from the beginning to the present! http://public.fotki.com/htmiata/1960_corvette/

IMG_2036-vi.jpg

]
IMG_4783small-vi.jpg

first body lift!!! wow was that easy with the 4 post lift!!!

IMG_4792small-vi.jpg

couple of the guys I had never met in person before from the forum came over to help, they were GREAT! I was glad that they were there!

IMG_4793small-vi.jpg

first of many times that the body would be on and off the dolly and back on the frame for fitment testing and checking clearances as well as tire and wheel fit.

IMG_4980s-vi.jpg

I hadn't welded in over 34 years. Bought a stick welder at a local auction, my tacks were pretty ugly, but they held until a professional took care of getting everything properly welded!

IMG_5066s-vi.jpg

another of the many body lifts I was able to do by myself. got so good at it I could do it in 45 minutes from start to having it back on my other lift. I was pretty amazed. With one of these 4 post lifts it was extremely easy to do.

IMG_5650s-vi.jpg

my frame all powder coated with the new suspension pieces. Ford 9" rear, disc brakes all around, rack and pinion steering, coil over shocks....it is great working with cleanly painted pieces! The silver parts are all powder coated silver with clear powder over them.

sIMG_2280-vi.jpg

media blasting the body, had to replace the front hood surround.

IMG_2357s-vi.jpg

I had to figure out what to do for exhaust and Allen Exhaust had just the thing, a side exhaust that mounted under the body out of sight that runs between the outside of the car and the frame rails.

IMG_236711_10_06-vi.jpg

my body with the front surround starting to be pulled off!

IMG_6146-vi.jpg

my motor

IMG_6149-vi.jpg

193C6156s-vi.jpg

body shop had to mount the body back on the frame and used the frame as a jig to get everything aligned properly! Next time the body goes back on will be the last time!

s193C6177-vi.jpg

sMG_0404-vi.jpg

this is pretty close to where we are today, the shop has the body in tinted red primer and are finishing off the motor compartment and will soon be shooting the body...we are about 3 to 4 weeks from getting it home!!!

So there you go. Once you get started you will do more than you planned and spend about 2x the money you thought you would. But I think it is worth every penny!!! Good luck on what ever you do!!!

regards, Herb

So Herb used the term "I did it it" I know it was a slip he means "we Did It" as Herbs lovely companion is always on his side assisting him with his project. I met them both 2 years in a row at Corvettes of Carlilse

I should have also added family bye inn as if your family doesnt bye in to the project it always becomes a problem.

IMG_2036-vi.jpg

PS Herb thats a great photo of you guys really shows in her face that she did bye into your project whole heartly,

You just cant fake happyness

So Herb used the term "I did it it" I know it was a slip he means "we Did It" as Herbs lovely companion is always on his side assisting him with his project. I met them both 2 years in a row at Corvettes of Carlilse

I should have also added family bye inn as if your family doesnt bye in to the project it always becomes a problem.

IMG_2036-vi.jpg

PS Herb thats a great photo of you guys really shows in her face that she did bye into your project whole heartly,

You just cant fake happyness
Larry, you are right, it takes family support and she is the BEST for sure!!! Also, it helps to have lots of help on here from the people on the forum such as yourself and the many others. Without that help I would not have attempted this!!!

rgodwin....

Just to be real and save you lot of headaches...if you have to ask the question ...you already know the answer. These cars arn't similar to any steel bodied auto experience you've ever had. The expense is not imaginable...it will be easily 10 times anything you expect....time or money wise.

Having said that...they are in a class of their own, and worth a lot when completed. Both monetarily and in the sense of accompolishment.

My wife says ...Make sure your wife loves cars...as much as she loves you, or more!

Just to be real...

thanks

Thanks to everyone for the advise. And First Gear...that was assume. Please keep us posted on your progress...rtg

so what are you doing with your '61? PM me with what you are trying to get out of it and its particulars, etc......thanks, Herb

I was considering selling my 61 and had never listed anything on ebay before. I listed it a couple weeks ago and encountered a bunch of flakes. Now I'm considering taking the body off and restoring it. I've taken old willys jeeps apart before but I'm a little apprehensive of my 61. Is it something I can tackle myself or should I leave it to a pro. rtg

Don't let the fiberglass scare you. It's really very friendly but itchy stuff. If you can do a Willys, you can do a Vette and the satisfaction level is a factor of at least 100 over a Willys!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom