Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

`63 Corvette's smooth as glass

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
`63 Corvette's smooth as glass

Fri Dec 14 2007
Classic Cruising / Larry D'Argis
Winnipeg Free Press

THE Corvette had always been America's favourite sports car and by 1962 it was still just that -- America's favourite.

Most of the European set felt the only thing that kept the Corvette competitive was its straight-line performance fed by an ever-increasing dose of horsepower. As well, some North Americans were feeling the original two-seat roadster was becoming long in the tooth. Its styling was clearly dated and the early 1950s frame it rode on with its live rear axle and front king-pin suspension was definitely passé in the performance world.

For 1963 all that would change. With a new aerodynamic fibreglass body it was like nothing else on the road or track. Underneath was a new frame with four-wheel independent suspension, heavy-duty brakes and knock-off wheels. With a wheelbase of just 98 inches it was four inches less than the wheelbase for the '62 model. Now shorter, narrower and lighter, its handling was much improved. Of course, the power was still there and raring to go with the optional fuel-injected 327 cubic inch V8. The L84 small-block engine's 360-horsepower rating was very impressive for its day. Now called the Corvette Sting Ray, it was available in both a sport coupe or roadster model.

For Bob Antonio of Winnipeg, one of his early Corvette recollections takes him back to when he was a teen with a part-time job pumping gas at the local Shell service station.

"A red Corvette roadster used to come in for gas and I remember asking him if when he was ready to sell it that he would let me buy it," says Antonio.

While that Corvette would always be the one that got away, it didn't stop Antonio from enjoying old cars as he went on to restore a 1952 Mercury pickup truck.

About 25 years ago he sold the truck and he and his wife Corliss went to look at a '63 Corvette roadster in the Beausejour area.

Finished in Riverside red with a white soft top and the optional red hard top, it was nicely equipped with four-speed manual transmission, 3.73 ratio positraction rear axle, power brakes, sintered metallic brake linings, Wonderbar radio, tinted glass and sidepipe exhaust. While it was an original 360-horsepower fuel-injected 327 car, the engine had been replaced with an LT1 four-barrel 350 V8 and a domed hood from a later big-block '66 Corvette.

"We had two young daughters at the time, Cassia and Hayley, and being a two-seater we couldn't take them with us for a ride, so Bob and I would hire a babysitter occasionally just so we could go for a drive," says Corliss.

After some digging Antonio was able to locate the original owner and not only did he still have the original hood, but under a tarp in his garage laid a date code correct, 360-hp fuel-injected 327 engine.

Antonio says, "He wanted to buy the car back, but in the end I purchased the original hood and the engine."

Antonio wasted no time replacing the LT1 V8 with the fuel-injected 327, but he kept the big-block hood.

"I like the look of it and I have the original if I ever want to replace it."

A couple of years ago Antonio also found a correct set of Kelsey-Hayes knock-off wheels for the Corvette and they now roll on a set of radial tires.

While they haven't driven the car a lot over the years they have taken in several local shows and one trip to a Devils Lake run. The other factor in the Corvette's low mileage may be the four other classic vehicles the Antonios now own.

Members of the Manitoba Street Rod Association and the Fabulous 50's Ford Club of Manitoba, the old car hobby is something they enjoy on a regular basis.
"It's the great people that you meet and get to know that make it such a wonderful time," Antonio says.

Today the 1963 Corvette carries the "Milestone Car" status as awarded by the Milestone Car Society. Whether it's one of the famed split-window coupes or a racy looking roadster, with their outstanding performance, ride and handling the '63 Corvette ranks as one of Chevrolet's highest achievements.

larry.dargis@freepress.mb.ca

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom