Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

63 Steering Column - Turn Signal Housing

kbuhagiar

Corvette
1963 Convertible 327/300 3TL
Hello, Folks,

I have just removed and disassembled the steering column on my 63.

Can someone tell me how far down on the steering column tube the turn signal housing (mast jacket?) is supposed to sit? I noticed that the tube is 'keyed' to index the housing in the proper location, but there doesn't appear to be any mechanical restriction as to how far down the housing should sit at the top of the tube.

Hope I'm making myself clear...:crazy

TIA for any assistance and support.:upthumbs

Seems to me that it just pushed in and turned about 1/4 turn. It is held in place when the plastic / internals are tightened up.

64Mike

Hello, 64mike,

Thanks for the response.

Actually, I already figured it out. The 63 is different in that the signal housing, although keyed, can slide up and down the mast jacket to allow for correct clearance with the bottom of the steering wheel hub.

For 64-up I believe, as you say, there is only one way to assemble the housing to the column (mast jacket).

I have just removed and disassembled the steering column on my 63

What else you going to do while you have it apart?

I regretted for years when I pulled my column to repaint it not rebuilding the clutch and brake pedal asssembly, Some time over the summer I had the car apart to rebuild the steering column and replace the dash wiring harness and I finnally removed the brake and clutch assembly and replaced the bearings. I also found the clutch pedal was worn were it pivots and replaced the clutch pedal.

I never realized how much slop it had in it untill I rebuilt it. Feels real good now. The plastic bushing were cheap. Well worth the extra time it took to rebuild it.

Best of luck

Did you check the bearing in the steering colum while you have it out?

I have just removed and disassembled the steering column on my 63

What else you going to do while you have it apart?

I regretted for years when I pulled my column to repaint it not rebuilding the clutch and brake pedal asssembly, Some time over the summer I had the car apart to rebuild the steering column and replace the dash wiring harness and I finnally removed the brake and clutch assembly and replaced the bearings. I also found the clutch pedal was worn were it pivots and replaced the clutch pedal.

I never realized how much slop it had in it untill I rebuilt it. Feels real good now. The plastic bushing were cheap. Well worth the extra time it took to rebuild it.

Best of luck

Did you check the bearing in the steering colum while you have it out?

Hello, IH2Lose,

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I replaced both of the bearings in the steering column, plus the bearing holder (seat) at the bottom of the column, and all of the other little nickle-and-dime thingies, so it is completely rebuilt for all intents and purposes.

I also rebuilt the entire pedal assembly while I had access and the column was out.

As for the wiring harness...that is on my list, but not this time around.

Cheers! :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom