Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'64 365Hp Motor

helmutzerber

Corvette
1964 Corvette Convertible
I have a '64 365 Hp convertible. This, as you know does not support power steering. Does anyone know the ramifications of changing the oil pan to the 300Hp pan so that the power steering cylinder will clear ? I would like to have power steering on the car.

Thanks.

Helmutzerber -

First of all, welcome to the CAC! There are alot of very knowledgeable people here, so I'm sure you'll find an answer to your question. :thumb

Now, regarding your oil pan question - would you run your car a quart low on oil on a regular basis ?? That's what you would be doing if you installed a stock 300HP oil pan, if it would even bolt up! Your best bet may be to contact VBP or one of the other aftermarket suspension vendors and explain your problem. They may be able to set you up with a power rack and pinion system - worth a phone call or a look on the web. :)

I don't know how often or how hard you drive your car, but the last thing I'd do is run my `65 L76 low on oil :eek

Good luck in your quest -

Dave

Thanks for the reply, I don't drive it hard, nor for long periods of time. BUT I don't want to cause any damage either. Thanks for the info, I wil look into it.

I do have another issue though - I get a bad chatter from the shifter area at high rpms (during shift) and to a lesser degree at higher speeds (but annoying as hell) . Any ideas what this could be ? Not sure if it is the shifter itself, or the trans.

Thank you very much for the info.

I have a '64 365 Hp convertible. This, as you know does not support power steering. Does anyone know the ramifications of changing the oil pan to the 300Hp pan so that the power steering cylinder will clear ? I would like to have power steering on the car.

Thanks.

The standard 5-quart system oil pan (4 + 1 for the filter) will work fine, and uses the same pickup screen; both pans are the same depth at the rear - only the sump is longer toward the front on the 6-quart system pan. All mid-'65-up small-block engines used the 5-quart system pan.

The power steering is a pretty straightforward bolt-on project with the kits from the vendors; don't forget to put the outer tie rod ends in the forward (closest to the spindle) holes in the steering arms.

:beer

The standard 5-quart system oil pan (4 + 1 for the filter) will work fine, and uses the same pickup screen; both pans are the same depth at the rear - only the sump is longer toward the front on the 6-quart system pan. All mid-'65-up small-block engines used the 5-quart system pan.

The power steering is a pretty straightforward bolt-on project with the kits from the vendors; don't forget to put the outer tie rod ends in the forward (closest to the spindle) holes in the steering arms.

:beer

Mine is set up this way. The only problem was finding all the correct pulleys.

You will need the pulley setup for a 65 L79 with Power steering. Both the crank pulley and water pump pulley will change.

If you still have the idler pulley and bracket, they will have to be removed to install the power steering. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom