Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

64 injected roadster

TriTown

Corvette
1985 Coupe
Hi all!
I am hopfully going to be the new owner of a 64 roadster that is injected, has air, with an automatic trans. this coming weekend if all goes well. The car has been in a garage for somewhere around 20+ years. It was parked and forgotten. What will be the issues with the fuel injection system. What should I do before I try to start it beside drain and clean the tank and replace any ignition parts.

I appreciate any tips. It's going to be a long week waiting for the outcome.

Thanks!
Joe

Best of luck with the new car, Personally I cant tell you what problems you may have with the FI

But definately look into the brakes to make sure you dont have dry rotted soft lines

I'm not really sure what the options are to tell the truth. The guy that owns the car now won't let me really check it out or even open the hood untill I show him the green. It's all here-say from others that know the guy.

I suppose now that I think about it to have A/C & fuel injection would be a tight squeeze. At the moment all I can think about is getting the car on a trailer on Saturday. I'll keep you all posted.
Joe

BE VERY CAREFUL

You sound overly enthused and anxious which is normal when looking for a car, especially a vette but if this guy won't even let you open the hood and it's been sitting for 20 years you just might be in for a lot of trouble and expense. I wish you the best and I'm NOT trying to jinx you, just think about it.

TriTown said:
I'm not really sure what the options are to tell the truth. The guy that owns the car now won't let me really check it out or even open the hood untill I show him the green. It's all here-say from others that know the guy.

first of all, that would be number 1 reason to make me turn arounnd and RUN, not walk away from this seller and forget the car. If he won't even let you look under the hood to evaluate it than he's hiding something.

Also, I agree with Vintage, I don't think the combo of options on this car was available. I believe the Powerglide auto tranny was only available on base 250hp and 300hp motors. I don't believe factory A/C was available on the L84 fuelie motor as there was no room to move the alternator over to the driver side because of the air intake tube and the fact that no A/C pulley configuration is listed for A/C on the fuelie motor in the NCRS book (at least not in my '65 JG).

So, what you have is a car with a combination of options that wasn't possible AND the seller won't let you look over the car properly........
I'm telling you, RUN from this thing as something just ain't right.

TriTown said:

I suppose now that I think about it to have A/C & fuel injection would be a tight squeeze. At the moment all I can think about is getting the car on a trailer on Saturday. I'll keep you all posted.
Joe

Joe

Maby it's me, but something just doesn't smell right. This business about only looking after paying, is something we can expect from a prostitute, but not for the sale of a Corvette.

It sounds to me as if there are too many funny things associated with this sale, personally I would walk,,,,,,,,

Stepinwolf

Yup, I'm with Stepinwolf....FORGET about what options it has/should have had...looks like you are being pushed into the car and I simply would not buy it

Do not even consider buying the car unless you take someone with you who knows these cars and I understand that you already own a vette...if you persist in wanting this car, then I hope you are comfortable swinging a wrench and can live with what can be some major mistakes....

best of luck but i would pass on this one

you know what, on second thought i think you're really being screwed...i would just go there to take some digital pictures, post them here and live with the collective comments

fwiw, even i've restored a '64 FI unit by carefully following advice from people like jerry bramlett but you really need to pack a wallet on that one...yes, i am trying to disuade you

This owner is silly not to let you check the car or lift the hood..stay away

TriTown said:

Sounds flaky to me - must be some aftermarket conglomeration of parts - none of those things were ever available together in any form from the factory. The guy won't tell you anything about it until you show him green? It's time to park your trailer and keep looking - the guy must be a wacko :eyerole .

any vehicle that has been sitting for 20 years will have issues take the advice and look elsewhere unless you are getting it real cheap AND can do all the work yourself.

TriTown said:
The guy that owns the car now won't let me really check it out or even open the hood untill I show him the green.

I have to say that I have encounter this before,and I have also insisted on this.

Not to pay for a car before looking at it But to prove I have the means to pay for it prior to wasting the owner time.

PS anytime a stranger suggested I bring cash to look at a car the first time ,I tell them I will not have cash on me only a letter of credit from my bank showing i have the means to purchase there car.

this year while I was sitting behind my car at carlilse a fellow was poking around and said I give you $uch & $uch for my 62, I said sounds great throw it in the trunk so I can count it. (figuring he was full of bull) Next thing you know 2 fanny packs where on the floor of my trunk and he said he will have to bring the other fanny pack in a half hour. Boy did I look like a jerk calling this guys bluff.

Geez Larry, did you beep when you backed up to get yourself out of that sale of your car?! :D

Just how much is he asking for this "hangar queen"?

Is it so much a bargain that you can't loose?

"She" may be a "10" ...... but the clap is still the clap!

I suppose I should have started this thread a bit different...This is how this car came about.
One of the guys where I work overheard me talking to another car nut about selling my 39 Chevy hot rod and in the meantime searching for a 69 to 73 roadster. HE chimed in with "I know where there is a 64 roadster automatic". He went on to say that he had seen it when his friend bought a 69 Plymouth Road Runner from the guy. The guy is into big buck european cars and does'nt care much for American classics. The Corvette has been parked inside for 20 years or so covered. It's got a good body with no noticable damage. The engine is complete and interior is complete too. The guy from work said it looked like you could hop in and drive it away! Any way... He sold the Road runner for $6000.00. Turns out the car is a 440 six-pack 4 speed car! It needed rear quarters and some interior work. His friend could not afford the Corvette because the guy wanted $12,000.00.

So now I enter the scene. I have not seen the car yet. I am expecting to see it this weekend coming. When I say he wants to see green first I'm told he just wants to know that I'm not a tire kicker waisting his time. I have to say I need to take a look. I'd never feel right ever again if I don't. The price is still $12,000.00 too!

I'll keep you posted...

Joe

TriTown said:
I suppose I should have started this thread a bit different...This is how this car came about.

So now I enter the scene. I have not seen the car yet. I am expecting to see it this weekend coming. When I say he wants to see green first I'm told he just wants to know that I'm not a tire kicker waisting his time. I have to say I need to take a look. I'd never feel right ever again if I don't. The price is still $12,000.00 too!

I'll keep you posted...

Joe

Joe,

What did you say that address was again. ;LOL

Depending on it's present condition, there is really not much to loose for 12K. If need be, you could part it out for twice that amount.

Todays projects don't even start and stop for 12K. Good luck

Stepinwolf

For that price ...... "Motor! Who needs a motor?"

:confused

If you don't buy it .... at least as it was stated.... yer' gonna be in for a serious whooppin and a major league goat award!

Still Hard To Believe

I wish you the best sincerely, but a 440 six pack 4 speed for $6,000?

Rowdy1 said:
I wish you the best sincerely, but a 440 six pack 4 speed for $6,000?

Rowdy there out there,

I just missed on a GSS spaulding dodge dart 440,$2,900.00 with some rust. from a secound owner. The car is up and running and is being resold for 18,000 with the same rust it had. Me personally folow every lead I hear about

I know I sound like some kind of a n ut but it's the truth. But...I still don't own it yet. Got to check it out! You just never know. Talk & having a look see is the cheepest part. I've always heard of deals like this. Good or bad I never thought I'd get the chance to check one out.
The PLymouth was really bought for 6000.00. Like I said, I'll keep you posted.
Joe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom