Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

66 brake lights not working

Ronald

Corvette
66 Coupe
Could someone please give me some advice on how to locate my brake light problem.

- Both taillights work.
- Both turn signals work.
- The brake fuse is good.
- The brake pedal switch appears to be good. I placed a jump wire across the orange and white wires that go to the brake light switch and still have no brake lights. I tried direct power from the fuse box to both the white and orange wire - still no brake lights. What else should I check?

Had a similar problem with my '64. Long story short it was the directional switch in the steering column. Had everything apart and tested many times, even added extra grounds, and had everything except working brake lights. Sometimes the left side would work and then it would go to the other side. A friend that builds and restores cars said to change it and quit arguing with him. Hate to lay on my back and work on the brake switch anyhow.

Did it and have had no problems for 2 years.

Could someone please give me some advice on how to locate my brake light problem.

- Both taillights work.
- Both turn signals work.
- The brake fuse is good.
- The brake pedal switch appears to be good. I placed a jump wire across the orange and white wires that go to the brake light switch and still have no brake lights. I tried direct power from the fuse box to both the white and orange wire - still no brake lights. What else should I check?

It's either in, or in the connections to/from the turn signal switch. Power goes from the brake light switch through the white wire to the turn signal switch, and that switch connects the power to the yellow and dark green wires to the brake light filaments if the turn signal switch is in neutral. Probe the curved multiple connector under the steering column with a test light and check for power in on the white wire, and power out on the yellow and green wires with the pedal depressed; if no power out, the switch is bad.

:beer

Thanks

Thanks a lot :). Your advice was right on! I found out the white wire had broke off at the connector that goes to the steering column.

Back on the road:Steer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom