Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

66 Coupe Rear Window Trim

4WDVETTE

Corvette
1966 Coupe
Need help. I am at the last couple items to do before I hit the road - legally that is. I was trying to install the original trim around the reinstalled rear window and they just don't seem to want to fit well. My body shop guy installed the window with some sort of 'butyl tape', I think he called it. Kind of a black strip that comes on a roll and is somewhat plyable.

It seems that the window needs to sit lower in the channel then it currently is. I have pushed on the glass somewhat, however little or no movement.

Any thoughts, short of removing the glass and resetting. If that is my only alternative, then Ok but I would like to avoid it if at all possible.

I doubt this will be one of those long Barry threads but all input would be appreciated.

Steve

Steve. I assume that your rear window is sitting on the rubber spacers. I think there are either 6 or 8 of them around the glass.

Also, I imagine that you installed new trim clips. If both these assumptions are correct, then you did what I did.

In order to get the stainless trim to seat properly, I had to apply considerable pressure. Like you, I was concerned, but eventually they hooked up properly, better than the front trim did.

I'll be re-doing the front if I ever find the time.

Good luck.

You are correct - all new rubber spacers and trim clips. I don't know how to put more pressure on the glass then leaning on it heavily with my body weight. Certainly don't want to hit it - 40 year old glass. Thanks, I think, for your insight that I just need to do more. All the connections are 'close' but they just seem like they will pop out when I go over a bump. I can't wait to get to the front - maybe tonight.

Steve

4WDVETTE said:
....but they just seem like they will pop out when I go over a bump. I can't wait to get to the front - maybe tonight.

Steve

I thought the same thing, once they were on. It didn't seem like they "positively" went on with sort of a click. I was sure that I'd lose some on the first pothole.

Then, I drove down I-75 in Detroit towards last year's CruiseFest in Bowling Green. Man, if they didn't come loose on that piece of crap for a road, I now know I'll need a crowbar to get them off again. ;LOL

No kidding John. If you can believe, the car is 99.9% done. Front and rear window trim, alignment and swap out the carb and I am done. This trim is so frustrating! Was working on the front windshield last night. 2 small scratches on the new paint and I said the h**l with it and I hepled my son with his new deck - love to smash something with a hammer!!

I figure this weekend will be sunny so I am going to sit it out in the sun for awhile and hopefully the butyl bedding compound will soften on the rear window and I can push it further down into the channel. Then the trim might snap in better. Then the windshield. Give me the mechanical stuff any day. I quess I am just not a detail man anymore.

IDEAS ANYONE!!!!

Steve

I went through exactly what you are experiencing, Steve. I had Z28Canuck and Fuelie help out too and it took a great many hours to do the front and the rear.

The rear finally came out near perfect. The front I gave up on in order to leave for CruiseFest last year. It's certainly not perfect.

To get even close, I'm going to remove it all, remove the windshield, and install a new clips and a new weatherstrip.

I already used new stuff the first time, but now I'm going to get them from different suppliers. According to THIS thread, only two places have the good trim clips.

HERE's a thread on the proper front glass sealing compound.

I remember a thread about the proper front weatherstrip. I think it was available from CorvetteRubber.com but I haven't found the thread yet.

Good luck.

I did see the thread about the proper clips. I had gotten mine, front and rear through Zip Products. Also purchased their weatherstrip kit and new windshield rubber seal. The seal seems to fit fine, except that the space where the glass fits it is a little too wide. I used the 3M bedding compound as a sealer in the slot as well as sealing the rubber gasket. This corrected all the leaks that I had posted about before. No leaks in the rear window either.

Now, if I could just get the trim to fit right. Overall these cars are so simple, compared to today's vehicles, that I really feel stupid. Some of the CAC members know I used to build and race NASCAR Busch cars so, you would think I could take care of such a minor thing - so frustrating.

Thanks for the input, if it comes down to removing the glass, I will be the one you see driving the Nassau Blue 66 coupe without window trim - until next winter projects.

Steve

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom