Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

66 shifter help needed

JL66REDCPE

Corvette
1966 Red Cpe 427/425
Heres the story. Stock shifter hung up friday night. Got the car home, jacked it up and saw that the rear jam nut on 3rd and 4th gear lever backed off. Placed shifter in neutral, inserted alignment tool and put back together. Seemed to shift fine. The problem is that the forward jam nut is barely covering the threads at the end of the lever for 3rd and 4th gear. Now, the 66 lever for 3rd and 4th supposedly is longer than earlier years so it may not be the exact lever. That being said if you folks could check the configuration of the jam nuts on 3rd and 4th gear and tell me how much thread is left sticking out of the forward jam nut, I would appreicate it. It someone could measure the lever from the centerline of the part of the lever that inserts into the shifter to the end of the threaded end, that would be even better.

Heres the story. Stock shifter hung up friday night. Got the car home, jacked it up and saw that the rear jam nut on 3rd and 4th gear lever backed off. Placed shifter in neutral, inserted alignment tool and put back together. Seemed to shift fine. The problem is that the forward jam nut is barely covering the threads at the end of the lever for 3rd and 4th gear. Now, the 66 lever for 3rd and 4th supposedly is longer than earlier years so it may not be the exact lever. That being said if you folks could check the configuration of the jam nuts on 3rd and 4th gear and tell me how much thread is left sticking out of the forward jam nut, I would appreicate it. It someone could measure the lever from the centerline of the part of the lever that inserts into the shifter to the end of the threaded end, that would be even better.

Called you last night . I have my old complete unadjusted 65 shift linkage sitting on the bench waiting for your return call. Check your Machine.

John:

I was discussing this with Mark. Remember all the ttrouble that I had with my shifter where it lined up perfectly with the tool but I had installed the shifter lever on the trans backwards? It looked perfect, it kinda worked OK but I had very little threads left on the rod.

Just a thought

Good luck

Joe -- good hearing from you. I thought that might be the case as well however after looking at a bunch of diagrams I thuoght it was installed properly. It is installed as follows; The bend in the lever you reference is such that it takes the shifter arm away from the transmission. Turning it around would bring it closer to the transmission. -- Correct ?????

Joe -- good hearing from you. I thought that might be the case as well however after looking at a bunch of diagrams I thuoght it was installed properly. It is installed as follows; The bend in the lever you reference is such that it takes the shifter arm away from the transmission. Turning it around would bring it closer to the transmission. -- Correct ?????

i'll have to check when i get home this evening...in sunny, scenic OCNJ right now

be good!

correct

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom