Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

66 shifter replacement - going back to stock

tigernut

- Couple of newbie shifter questions (4 speed Muncie trans)

I have an aftermarket Mr. Gasket shifter (hurst lookalike) in my car (bought that way).

I don't know how old it is, but it is really bad, and I'd like to go back to the stock look.

I've seen several new/original 66 shifter assemblies for about $220.

My question is I think I'll need that assembly and a original mounting plate.

I assume my stock shifter rods will work fine, hooking back up to the stock shifter.

It looks like the stock reverse switch isn't present in there (reverse lights don't work), so I'll need one of those as well.

Does this sound correct?

Second, it looks like someone cut through the fiberglass on the trans tunnel, driver side of the shifter (There is a small cover there held in by 4 screws). Was this hole originally there, or did someone really cut it out?

Third, when the car was together and driveable, sometimes the shifter would be in neutral position when driving, but actually in a gear (felt like 3rd).

I could use the clutch and everything worked, but I could not move the shifter. I could "gently" beat on the shifter rod, then drive a short distance, then come to a stop and I could then move the shifter back around easily.

This certainly seems like something is wrong in the trans to me, but I'm praying it's just the shifter.

Any ideas on that one?

Thank you again!
Doug

tigernut,

What makes you sure that the rods are original?

The driver's-side hole that you describe is not original.

The driving-along-while-shifter-appears-to-be-in-neutral thing would likely be rod adjustment.

Hi Doug. That "hole" is not original and was probably put there to make it easier to install or remove the alignment pin for the Mr. Gasket shifter. For what it is worth, I have the Hurst shifter units and the "original looking" handles on both my '66 and '59.
I think they are superior to the original Muncie shifter. But that is just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum from another 66 owner.I have a hurst shifter in my car now and have been searching for an afourdable orginal shifter.I dont know if your into originality or not ,but foresure the hurst shifter when adjusted properly is a superiour shifter.So If your not into originaility replace the mr gasket with a new hurst.

I have been in stock vette with stock shifters and compaired to the hurst they feel like an old trucks shifter.I never missed a gear yet in this car.

I am going back to stock because I have taken the route of trying to bring my car back to factory correct.

Once again welcome

Yes, you will probably need a new shifter bracket. There were two shifter mounting brackets for 66. Earlier cars (up to Jan) had the shifter mounting bracket attached to the transmission. Later cars had the shifter mounting bracket attached to the frame. Originally my car had a hurst shifter with the hurst shifter mounting bracket which is attached to the transmission. I have an early car. I tried to re-use the hurst mounting bracket and could not as the shifter was too close to the driver side and was ripping up shifter boots. I changed to the correct one and no more problems with boots. The above posts are correct in that the Hurst shifter is a better shifter for "banging gears".

IH2LOSE said:
I am going back to stock because I have taken the route of trying to bring my car back to factory correct.
I have an origonal shifter in my 65 and would like to change over to a Hurst. If you or anyone else has a Hurst for sale or trade I would be interested.

Sky

USE an ORIGINAL

The original equipment stuff is the best, but get all the hardware including the rods. I have never had much faith in Georges shifters. He wanted to give me and install a freebe at one of the Indy US Nationals. I would use the 62 Vette to haul one of the race cars to Indy and he spotted the 62 towing the AA/A "Walt`s Puffer" and told me take it over to his shifter tent and have Howard Measels "The Shifter Doctor" at that time put one in. Every day at the meet he would tell me to come over to his tent. Never did! And I don`t regret the refusal. You have a nice car, put the right stuff back in. I never have had any problems. But my car has never had any owner except me and therefore, it`s always been Bubba or pump jockey free from aftermarket parts.:D

wallyknoch said:
But my car has never had any owner except me and therefore, it`s always been Bubba or pump jockey free from aftermarket parts.:D
Do you happen to remember the GM option code you used to get those wheels?;)

Just jerkin' your chain, that's a nice lookin ride. Black is one of my favorite colors on a Vette.

I too like to keep my Vettes as "factory" as possible but have made a few exceptions like radial tires, gas shocks (on the '59), better headlights and upgraded the shifter mechanisim. For me, the improvements make the car safer and more fun to drive. But that's just me.

maxphunn, Dayton Wire Wheels

Go to the Corvette C 1 Registry on the internet and under 1962`s, check the list by vin no. and go to 107512 near the bottom of the page. Theres about 25 listed. 6 pictures on the top of 107512`s history show the car off very well. One of which is the window sticker. It has all the options I ordered. Wire Knock-offs were never an option however.:D If you remember "Route 66" TV program, thats where I got the idea. Factory hub caps didn`t cut it.
thanks, I`m glad you like it :upthumbs

Wally

Hurst all the way. Had the oppurtunity to drive my '63 with hurst and my stepdads '66 with the original in the same day. Not even close. Sort of like the difference between Lee Meriwether(sp?) and Lee Marvin.:D Classic

Put a hurst in it with the orig. looking shifter. No GM car ever had a good 4sp. shifter. The extra hole is to make it easy to install and to set the alinement pin. You cant beat a hurst. Sky i have a complete hurst setup for sale,I was going to put it on Ebay but if you want it email me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom