Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'67 327/300 Intake Manifold Data Needed

Corvette
'67 Marina Blue Convertible
An issue has developed whereby it appears that many 1967 327/300's built during the 1967 calendar year have 3872783 intake manifolds which were cast in early 1966, well outside the 6-month "window" for judging acceptability. Before any change can be made to the NCRS Judging Manual, I've been asked to do a survey of '67 327/300 owners to gather more data on intake manifold dates vs. car and engine build dates.

If you have a '67 327/300 and you believe the 3872783 intake to be original to the car, I'd appreciate it if you could either post here or e-mail me (Snake488@aol.com) with the following information:

1. Body build date code (3 digits to the left of "Detroit" on the trim tag under the glove box).

2. Engine plant stamp code from the front block pad (i.e., V0601HE, etc.).

3. Casting date code from the rear of the intake (i.e., D 10 6, etc.).

Thanks! I've posted this request on other Boards as well, and will be placing a notice in the "Driveline" for those owners who aren't active on-line.

John,

I'm going to stick this to the top of the forum so that it won't disappear over time.

Thanks, Rob - data coming in indicates overwhelmingly that thousands of these manifolds were cast in '66 and not machined and used on engines until '67.

Still looking for more data - Thanks!

Rob -

The survey is completed, has been approved by the NCRS '67 National Team Leader, and the article describing the data and the results in detail will be published in a future "Restorer" magazine.

In summary, it proves that '67 327/300's commonly had intakes cast as much as 54 weeks prior to the engine assembly dates; the '67 Technical Manual & Judging Guide will recognize this anomaly in its next revision.

Thanks to those who participated!

Better late than never

Hi John,
My 67, AC, base motor coupe vin # 12906 had intake number G66. That was one of the most original cars I ever owned.It ran like a watch , blew 34 degrees out the center vent with the AC on in 100 degree plus California summer weather.

The car was one of the survay cars used in Noland Adams Vol #2 CORVETTE RESTORATION book. I remember when he questioned me about it being so early for a car that was made around Valatines Day 67. Noland sent me a thank you letter on May 8, 1988.
Here we are 14 1/2 years later and NCRS finally says it is OK.

I am sure glad I just drive and enjoy the cars now and don't worry about the little details.

Regards,
Jim Gessner

Congratulations John

Just finished reading your article in the winter '03 issue of The Corvette Restorer . Very well written and very informative. You would have thought that before now someone would have figured out that there are very few '67 300 hp engines with '67 cast manifolds. Especially those that judge them all the time.

Somewhere some '67 judge must have said "Have you ever noticed that almost all 300 hp '67s have the wrong manifold?" and then tried to find out why. Just the fact that an iron intake manifold almost never fails should have been a clue that something was up.

It is fortunate for all '67 300 hp owners that you bought one.

Tom

Very nice work John. I am sure there are a great number of '67 owners past, present, and future that will thank you for your work.

Tom is right that it would have made sense for someone to have brought this up in the past.

Again, nice work.

John, once again you've proven yourself a credit to the hobby! :beer

- Mike Greene

I answered your survey on another forum sometime ago and it has been interesting to see the results. I'm the second owner of my car for the last 19 years and on two occasions had someone tell me the manifold wasn't correct when I knew darn well it was the original. Thank you for doing the survey.

67 Corvette Manifold Data

I have had my 67 Coupe, 327 300 HP for over 28 years and the engine has not been out of the car in all that time. I am real sure everything is original, so here are the numbers for you:

Body build code: H17

Engine code: VO323HR

Manifold casting code: L196

Hope this helps.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom