Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

67 Bb Hood Question

nrt6964

Corvette
64 CONVT
I JUST BOUGHT A REPRO 67 BB HOOD.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY PICS OF THE UNDERSIDE OF ONE OF THESE HOODS SO I CAN SEE HOW TO ATTACH THE HOOD GRILL?
I UNDERSTAND THAT THERE IS A FIBERGLASS BAFFLE THAT HOLDS IT ON. IVE NEVER SEEN ONE OF THESE BAFFLES.

I don't have a 67, but I know Corvette Central sells the fiberglass retainer (about $50), and probably other vendors do as well. No illustration in the catalogs I have though.

THANX.
IM LOOKING FOR A PIC SO I CAN SEE HOW THE HOOD WAS CUT TO FIT THE HOOD GRILL. AS FOR THE FIBERGLASS BAFFLE, I WANT TO SEE WHAT THATS CONNECTED TO BECAUSE I MIGHT BE ABLE TO MAKE SOMETHING TO ATTACH THE HOOD GRILL TO THE BAFFLE INSTEAD OF SPENDING AN UNREASONABLE $50 FOR A TINY PIECE OF FIBERGLASS...

'67 BB hoods didn't have either grilles or baffles - do you mean the '65-'66 BB hood with the openings and grilles on the sides?

John, 67 BB's do have a fake "grill" panel that fits into the front scoop opening. Looking at it from the front it's mostly painted black, but there is a narrow chrome lip fitting the outline of the (fake) opening along it's top edge (where the larger BB raised hood section starts, partway up the normal SB raised spear, forming an opening)... the panel has low triagular side pieces extending forward on each side to dress up the faring of the large hump into the flat of the hood. Apparently a properly-shaped fiberglass piece (reinforcement baffle) is required on the backside to hold the painted chome panel tightly in place in that opening, so that it's narrow chrome lip hugs the cut edges of the fiberglass.

The '67 BB hood doesn't have a hole at the front where the bright molding fits in - it's solid fiberglass hood outer panel behind the molding, with five holes drilled in it for the three studs across the back and one screw on each side near the front of the "spear" pointed ends.

The '65-'66 BB hood has the openings and chrome grilles on the sides, with three horseshoe-shaped retainers and a water shield behind them inside the hood. Long Island Corvette has the shields ($19.00 a pair) and the retainers ($12.00 for six).

THIS IS WHY I NEED SOME PICS. THE HOOD I BOUGHT WONT ALLOW ME TO ATTACHED THE HOOD GRILL FLUSH WITH THE OUTSIDE OF THE HOOD, UNLESS I CUT PART OF THE HOOD OUT. THERE IS A FIBERGLASS BAFFLE UNDER THE HOOD THAT HOLDS THE GRILL IN PLACE BY THE 3 STUDS ON THE BACK OF THE HOOD GRILL (SEPARATE FROM THE 2 SCREWS ON THE SIDES OF THE HOOD GRILL)

IM TAKING A 65-66 BB HOOD OFF OF THE CAR SO I KNOW WHAT YER TALKING ABOUT THERE. I NEED TO SEE AN ORIGINAL 67 BB HOOD!!! GUESS THERES JUST NOT THAT MANY AROUND :)

The original '67 BB hood is one thickness in that area - just molded outer panel; the repro hood must be made differently - time to improvise!

I have a 67 427 / 390 and will send a picture of the inside and outside tomorrow if you still need to see it.
Gerry

I'd like to see a photo of both the original and the aftermarket hood. Sounds like the aftermarket may have some added reinforcement for some reason.

Tom

I dont think that there is any more reinforcement than stock.
My aftermarket hood (from Vanacor) is the same as stock, except it is not "finished" underneath. Meaning it is not smooth and you can see the fiberglass strands.
Sorry, i dont have access to a digital camera to take a photo of it...

67 bb hood pictures

I am sending the pictures of the 67 bb hood inside and out. Hope this helps, sorry for the delay.

Gerry

I found a pic of the underside of an original 67 BB hood on ebay.
Thanx for the reponses.
If anyone wants me to send them the pic, let me know...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom