Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'67 Coupe antenna cable replacement

zr1vp

Corvette
2007 Z06
My radio has been acting up so I dug into it and found the cable to be defective. What's the procedure/secret to replacing it? Loks like a pain in the neck.

zr1vp said:
My radio has been acting up so I dug into it and found the cable to be defective. What's the procedure/secret to replacing it? Loks like a pain in the neck.

The two hardest areas will be in removing the metal runner (under the carpet) along the driver's door sill (the cable runs through it) and the rubber grommet at the rear bulkhead. The grommet can be very difficult to remove without damaging it.

Other than that, it should be a piece of cake.

67HEAVEN said:
The two hardest areas will be in removing the metal runner (under the carpet) along the driver's door sill (the cable runs through it) and the rubber grommet at the rear bulkhead. The grommet can be very difficult to remove without damaging it.

Other than that, it should be a piece of cake.
Maybe if you can spray some WD40 or some kind of lubricant around the edge of the grommet it might come out easier and with less or no damage. Just a thought. Probably better than forcing it dry. Think that will help Bob?

Try removing the cable from the rear of the car. I've replaced mine with the grommet removed but the pin end of the cable should probably slide through the hole in the grommet with a little lube of some sort (Sylglide, NAPA) is good stuff (unless they've "fused" with age. Other option is to gently tuck the bayonnet side of the grommet back through the hole with a dull screwdriver blade. If the grommet is dried and cracked this is probably a good time to grab a new grommet anyway. The others are right about the carpet support that covers the rear harness and antenna cable. Could be quite rusty. What I have found to work well is to put a large screwdriver on the bottom of the support clip and give it a quick blow with he heel of the other hand to release the bottom of the clip. The support (long metal strip) rotates into the top of the clips so the bottom must be released first.

Hope this helps
DZ

Thanks fellas. I'll post the results after the task is completed.

'67 coupe antenna replacement

zr1vp said:
Thanks fellas. I'll post the results after the task is completed.
The total procedure only took maybe an hour. Threading the pin end of the cable thru the grommet was a piece of cake. Thanks for everyone's help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom