Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

67 headlight problem

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
Last night I went to raise the lights, right side went up just fine. The left side would open approx. 80% then begin to close. The head light indicating light on the dash never went out. At 80% open I got out and the headlight would rock up and down about 2 inches. Any ideas ??

Drive gear is worn out, it is time for a rebuild of those motors!
It is really a pretty simple job to rebuild them.

There is nothing that would cause one motor to reverse and not the other. Both motors are driven by the same circut. The switches and indicator lights are nothing but advisory in nature, and have nothing to do with the operation. They are simply there to warn you that you have your headlights turned on with the lights in the down position.

Regards, John McGraw

Thanks John,
Can you tell me if you can, if theres a rebuild kit that you'd recommend and what vendor. I remember seeing somewhere on this forum a step by step for this rebuild. Anyone steer me in the right direction ?
Thanks.. Jim

I do not know of a kit, per se, but most of the vendors carry the individual parts for the headlight motors. The gear is pretty much a drop-in installation, but maybe someone will post a link to the procedure.

Regards, John McGraw

I have taken my motors out and just simply reversed (rotated 180*) the gear and greased them. Both of my midyears worked perfect after that with no parts purchase involved. The gear wears on just one side. A friend that showed me how to do this did both motors on my '65 in less than an hour while we were killing time at a show.

Yeah, That's what I meant. Great article.

Great resourse.. thanks for the article..
Looks easy enough, best part is not needing to order new parts.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom