Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'67 pulling to left when braking

427/390

Corvette
'67 Big block coupe
After taking the '67 BB Cpe out of storage this June and taking it for the summer's first ride, I immediately noticed that it pulled to the left when braking. The car got all new calipers, rotors, stainless steel braided lines and master cylinder about 7 years ago at which time I also switched to the Dot 5 silicone brake fluid.

My first guess (emphasize guess) was that the brakes needed to be bled so I found the time last weekend for a gravity bleed. I also examined the left front caliper and cleaned it with brake kleen. Had someone step on brake and it mostly looks ok BUT one of the pistons seems to be a little tight (e.g. doesn't release fully) - So, if I have the car on jack stands I can feel a slight drag on the left front when compared to right front. Some suggested that the flex hoses were to blame but the vendor I bought them from claims that is probably not the case as they are the braided stainless versions. The vendor also claims the caliper is fine because brake fluid comes through the bleeders.

I checked the suspension to see if anything was wrong, but the car rides and handles just as before so I am convinced its the brakes.

What do I check next??

I think you are thinking the left caliper is grabbing too much but it is also possible the right side isn't grabbing enough. Maybe air in line? Maybe stuck piston(s)?

studiog said:
I think you are thinking the left caliper is grabbing too much but it is also possible the right side isn't grabbing enough. Maybe air in line? Maybe stuck piston(s)?

Just had this with my DeVille.

The wife diagnoised that the pads were adjusted too tight on the passenger side.(car pulling to the right on braking)

What I found was a bad inner wheel bearing seal on driver side.So the driver side brakes were wet.

I just put an entire front end in this car in June and did not replace the seals.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom