Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'68-'72 MPG estimate

A

amrossi

I am wondering what range of gas mileage to expect for 68-72 vettes, stock with base 350 engine. I want to purchase one and am just curious, also what kind of reliability should i expect for a restored car? I want this car for everyday use, does anyone see this as a bad idea for a guy on a budget?

Thanks

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center amrossi.

It sure sounds like you know what you want in a 'Vette. Judging from my experience with my L48 equiped '78, depending on how well the engine was manintained, you could probably expect 9-12mpg in mixed driving conditions. You could probably get upwards of 14mpg on the highway.

As for being on a budget, it just depends on how big of a budget it is. I bought that '78 a little over a year and a half ago, as an E-5 in the Navy (I didnt make much...).

The reliability of a restored car depends on the person that restored it. I would recomend taking the car to a Corvette shop and having them take a good through look at it before you commit to buying the car.

Jason

amrossi Welcome to The Corvette Action Center

I second what Jason has said. Very good and wise advice. Funny how sometimes excellent advice isn't exactly what we want to hear :eek: esp. when all we hear is our heart saying I want it, I want it, I want it :D

As Jason pointed out there is a whole bunch of information here on the Corvette Action Center. Rob has a check list for looking at and purchasing a Corvette. And, what ever happens you can count on many seasoned Corvette owners to be here to help and support you ;)

Not Great, but not Bad either...

Amrossi,

When I had my '72, std 350 engine, IF....... and I do mean IF, I was real gentle; which of course is darn near impossible, I could eek out 17-18 hwy out of her. Mostly 10-12 in town like Jason indicated. This was on the original engine with 175K miles too.

As for reliablility, that gets a bit tougher. A well maintained Corvette should be a reliable caras a daily driver. You'll find many of the folks here on the CAC use their Vette's as daily drivers with no problems at all. Best chance is to find one where the history is documented, even still there's no guarantees.

As for a budget... expect to put some $$$ into the car. Heck, any previously owned car will require some periodic work. Buy a Corvette because you WANT one. There's an enormous amount of expertise in any year of Corvette on the CAC and a ton of folks ready and willing to help you with any questions you may have.

Regards.......... Nut

WELCOME

Welcome to the forums amrossi. You have found the right place for enjoyment of the worlds best sports car.

The years you are looking at are a good choice as they are going up in value and there are still good ones available at fairly reasonable prices. Try to find a car that is driven regularly and has been maintained well. A driven car will have fewer problems than one that spends it's life in a dark garage. It is amazing how things "happen" to a car that sits. You park it with no problems and the next time you get it out something doesn't work. Apply this to any kind of car. Have a trusted Corvette guy check out the brakes, rear wheelbearings, u-joints ect and look for signs of collision damage or abuse.

Remember that a Corvette with a base 350 is basically a Chevy car and will be very dependable as a daily driver. With your warmer climate you should get decent mileage also. I had a daily driver '65 327/300hp that got 18.5mpg on the highway at 70 mph with 3'36 gears. Around town about 10-14 depending on my right foot. I even had a daily driver '70 El Camino with a 450hp LS6 that would pull 14.5 on the highway. Had a '71 350 base motor that would touch 20 with 3.08s. About 12-14 around town with a light foot.

Sure you will have to run premium in these cars as the '69 and '70 are still high compression but they get far better mileage than the mid to late '70s that were choked with emission regs.

Bottom line? If I lived where you are I would be driving a midyear as a daily driver and never worrying about it.

Tom

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and the excellent replies. I can see that this will be a very usefull and entertaining site...

Empty Bank account

I just bought a 74' on march 7th. I firmly believed in this car, Had documentation of EVERYTHING that has been repaired on it since it was new. The seller was a good friend and used it as once every three month sunday car. It came at an outstanding price, but I did have to get Carb rebuilt and a once over on the engine since the car was never ran and some how when I test drove it (for a week!) it ran perfect, then sprung a radiator leak after i threw the CASH down. It wont be an every day driver now but wont be a sunday driver either. Like stated above things happen to the best of them, even more when they sit. There's no better feeling than having one sitting in your driveway. Wife is a little p'ed at it, cause I wanna sleep in it, LOL!!! I'm broke and plan on being that way for a long while, I have big plans for my cash and my new toy!

Gas Milage

Hi Amrossi, I think you'll find that everyone's gas milage will be different. Lots of factors involved when driving a corvette. In my case when I first bought my 1970 350/350 vette, it came with a 750 Holly double pumper on it. I was lucky to get 5 mpg with it, just barely touching the gas pedal and not getting on it. The second year I had the car I decided to put an original Rochesther Quadrojet on it, (which was factory spec) and located one at a friends garage. He offered to rebuild and install it for me. After he installed it for me I noticed a big change in milage and performance, doubled around Town. Although I was happy with the increase He informed me that he had done some minor adjustments on the needle valves. BIG different when I get a heavy foot and KICK IN the four barrels. I'm sure that if he had just done a normal rebuild my milage would be a lot better, but to be honest I kind of enjoy the head snap when I put the "peddle to the metal". My biggest problem when driving my car is that I do enjoy going threw the gears with a slighly heavy foot. If I was to go threw them easier I would probably get a few more MPG. Point is there all going to be different. You just have to expect a lower than normal mpg than any other sport car.

Welcome!

Welcome to the CAC amrossi, there's a lot of C3 people here that'll be glad to help you anyway they can.
I have to admit though, when I first saw this post, I thought you were looking for (or had) a Corvette that got 68 - 72 mpg! :L

:rolleyes: HEY ROB, SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THE SMILELY CODE OR SOMETHING; LOOK AT "ROLLEYES".

Seriously, good luck on your Vette purchase.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom