Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

68 vette 427?

skitch

Corvette
'90 Artic White Convertible
I HAVE JUST GOT A 68 CORVETTE WHICH I BELIEVE TO BE A 427 CAR. IT HAS A SMALL BLOCK IN IT NOW .IT HAS THE BB HOOD AND REAR SWAY BAR .FACTORY 4 SPEED ,HEAD REST AND AM'FM RADIO.MY QUESTION IS ,IS THERE ANY WAY TO TELL BY THE #'S ,IF IT'S A BB CAR .OR ANY OTHER WAY? I HAVE A 66 MODEL 427 /390 HP ENGINE OUT OF A VETTE THAT I PROBABLY WILL PUT IN THE CAR. WHAT THE HECK ,#'S DON'T MATCH ANYWAY.

skitch,

I believe the only way to tell for sure is to find your buildsheet.

Sorry I couldn't be more help to you.

Rick

There are some little things that might give you a better clue. What is the redline on the tach, etc.? A little research and you might get your answer.

Look at the diff yokes - if the inner "U"-joints are retained with steel caps and bolts, that's what big-blocks had; small-block rear ends used "U"-bolts and nuts.

I just checked the yokes,they are held in with caps and bolts,thats a good sign,thanks. And for the red line on the tach ,looks like 5700 red line .what should it be for the 427? About the build sheet ,I read somewhere that they were on top of the gas tank,does the tank have to come down or off to get to it? Thanks for the info,Skitch

To read it you would have to lower the tank and remove it very carefully, but you should look to see if it's there first.
Take a flashlight, a mini mag is small enough and at the gas tank door fold the rubber boot shining the light to the left as your standing at the rear of the car. If it's there you should be able to see it.

If you find it,get some guidance before trying to clean it.

Hope it's there.

Rick

Ok guys,now for the important stuff. What am I going to have to do to put the big block back where it belongs? Since a bb came out of this car ,there sould not be any modifications ,right? Engine swaps are not new to me ,so I can handle the job. I figure motor mounts and exhaust manifolds will be all I need ,right? It looks like I have the right radiator already .Any advise will be apprecated. Thanks ,Skitch

Hi
5700 redlined tach is not for the 427/435 HP big block L71 or L89 engine, nor for the L88 427/430 HP engine.
Could still be for the 427/390 HP engine. Do you have 2 fuel ines, meaning a fuel return line ?
All HP big block engines had only one fuel line. ( tri-powers and L88 ).
Like you sayed, makes no difference is numbers are not matching anyway.
I'm in a similar boat, my 68 convertible has a non numbers matching 427 CI big block, but for sure was a L71 car as all, from radiator to shaft caps, fuel line , sway bar, HP heads , 7 leaf spring and last but not least, the 6.500 redline tach points to this.
Good luck.
Gunther

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom