Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

69 Tach Cable replacement

69vette

Has anyone ever replaced the tach cable? My was broke when I bought the car. I got a new cable, but my question is: How is it attached to the tach? Distributer has a fastener, but the tach end doesn't. Am I missing something?

Chuck

Unscrew it. It has a large coupled threaded head that screws onto the back of the tach.

At least, that is what I remember from taking mine out.

It sould have a press fit lip that clicks over a latch/tab..........should only fit one way..........Steve

Steve is right about the press fit lip. I replaced mine this year, it helped that two of us did this job. One to press the lip down while pushing the tach cable in and the other turned the cable at the "screwd" end to help align the cable into the tach.

Red, Good point, it is a lot easier with two people. That part of the car is kinda crowded. And you do litterally have to stand on your head to do it :) ............Steve PS Long skinny fingers helps, too..........

Oops

They are right, I just went and checked it.

Sorry about that. The 69 race car I worked on last year had an aftermarket cable drive that screwed on at each end.

Don't feel bad

Chris, Don't feel bad, I have 4 69's here in the shop, and i went to make sure before I posted, I even put 2 of the dashes in. I think the last year they twisted on both ends was 67...........Steve

Tach Cable

Well Everyone, I'll dive into it tomorrow and see. I appreciate all the feedback.:beer :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom