Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'69 vs '70

1996Z15

Corvette
1969 Corvette coupe
All things being equal does anyone think that either car will be more valuable than the other? I am looking to buy a C3 and want to make the best investment I can afford. I am looking at 2 L46 Corvettes; one a 1969 and the other a 1970. Do you guys see either one being more collectible than the other? Do you see the '69's increasing in value faster, or higher, than the comparable '70 model?

Thanks

1996Z15 said:
Do you see the '69's increasing in value faster, or higher, than the comparable '70 model?

Thanks

I think so, but that's just a personal preference.

This is just my opion but I would say the 69.I'm a sucker for those fender gills.Yes the 70 has the flair on the bottom of the wheel well's that look cool and keep road debris to a minimum and they could be had with the LT1 but then you didn't ask about engine options.Base VS Base I'd say 69.

Ditto with what zgator said. As the expression goes - 'real sharks have gills' Although in my humble opinion, a C3 looks like a sting ray than a shark. Don't want to get into that whole 'sting ray vs. shark' debate, but man, those gills look cool!!!

Craig

So far you guys are all thinking the same as I am. I personally like the looks of the 1969 better but, wasn't sure if GM hadn't made improvements to the '70 that would make it more desirable than the '69.
I am looking at a black L46, no AC 4 speed coupe with saddle interior. The '70 is an L46 4 speed, no AC with black interior in Mulsanne blue.
The '70 appears to be in slightly better shape but not by much. The '69 needs carpet and seat covers. It could also stand to have the engine pulled so the engine and compartment can be properly detailed.
The '70 doesn't appear to need anything.........both are drivers not show cars.

I think that the '69s are the more desirable year (bet this has something to do with the 427s offered ;) - it trickles down even to the base engines). However, due to a strike that year, there many more '69 vettes than 1970's. I'm sure someone here knows more about this than I, but I think that the 1969 production ended up running long, and the '70 production was cut to a 1970 1/2 model year due to the strike. Therefore, the relative rarity of the 1970 Corvette does counteract this desirability factor somewhat.

My opinion: In the long run, the difference will be small to the point that you're better off buying the car in better shape! Repairs and improvements will most likely cost more than any market difference between the two years (for base engine cars).

If the '69 is worth more than the '70 I don't think it will be by much. Someone may correct me here, but a black '69 is a rare car.

I'd buy the nicer car.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. Just buy the best car that you can afford.

tom...

Don't know how you feel about color, but Mulsanne Blue w/Black is one sweet looking combo! You'll have a nice ride either way. -John

I may be biased but since 70 production was shortened by UAW strikes there are a lot less 70"s than any other year vette since I believe 1961. In 69 they built 38,000 and in 70 they only built 17,000. In 1969 the built 12,800 L46 engines and in 1970 only 4,900 and that makes the 1970 harder to get and therefore more valuable especially a base engine car. To me it is basic law of supply and demand.

The 427's were more desireable than the 454's but that is mostly because in later years 73+ the polution controls lowered HP. If there is little or no difference in the cars go for the 70. There were inprovements in headroom , fender flares to protect against paint chips, and other minor changes. 70's were the last year before polution controls started to take their toll.

As mentioned in prior posts the 70 build year was short thus a bit more rare. 69 was just a great year for Vettes.Flip a coin!!! I would do the 70. My own preference ( I like the flares) When I was looking for a C3 I ended up with a 71 and was focusing on 70-72. Any chrome bumper Vette is a potential investment but dont buy a car based on its potential investment returns.Buy it, drive it and have fun!

Anthony

I would go with the blue.There seems to be a million black Vettes out there.Both 69 and 70 are the most desirable of the Shark era,so you cant go wrong with either car.

I just got back from checking out the black '69 Corvette. The car was a 51,000 mile original that just needed some detailing to make it really nice. It had some really nice options and was a blast to drive. I am seriously considering this car but do want to check out the blue '70 before making a decision. I just hope this car isn't gone by the time I get to see and drive both cars.

You cannot go wrong with either one.Although i own a 70,i am still partial to a 69.Always buy the best vette you can...JERRY

I have to agree with the others. The '70 is the "rarer" car, in that fewer were made. The fender flares is a good point as well, and I prefer the exhaust outlets on the '70-'72's. I do like the '69's however, because of the gills, and they corrected a lot of '68 mistakes. Long build year for '69's.

Like the others-go with the best car you can afford. 51K miles seems decent, too. You didn't mention the asking price of either one. You may want to look in the Black Book and determine how many black '69's were built vs. Blue '70's. My 2% of a buck. :)

Good luck in whatever you decide-either way, you're gonna love it! :upthumbs

Rick
:w

The asking price of the black '69 was $22,000. I looked at the blue '70 and it just wasn't for me. I am really leaning toward going back for the '69.

That seems like a decent price if it's a real nice '69 with a few of the right options. There doesn't seem to be many black chrome bumper cars out there.

I hope it has A/C, you're gonna need it!

How is the car optioned?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom