Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

69 with AC and no overflow tank

Red73BB

Corvette
1969 dark red convert
I have a '69, 350 with factory A/C. On hot days the radiator coolent will flow out of the short hose attached to the rad overflow, not much, but some. I purchased a '69 overflow tank and straps, but couldn't install where the tank should go because of the A/C unit. Now i'm told that small block with A/C never has a overflow tank, only non-A/C car and BB with A/C had tanks.
Suggestions Please...

If your stock radiator has it's own fill cap, the expansion tank on the fender was not used. Only aluminum radiators without separate fill caps got the expansion tanks.

You can check the assembly instructon manual (AIM) for specifics, but AC and AT cars usually got the big four row Harrison copper and brass radiators. Those have separate fills and do not use the an expansion tank.

If you have the copper\brass radiator, fill it to within one inch below the fill inlet. The 4 rows require an expansion space at the top of the radiator. My hunch is your coolant weep comes from having the radiator slightly too full.

You also want to ensure your radiator cap is in good condition.

The highlighted links showing up in this post were not created by me. I have no affilation with the eBay vendors and make no endorsement of any type.

:thumb

Last edited:

Hey Just found this forum- I'm restoring a damaged 69 small block, manual trans, non-air. What is the correct radiator for this car? Aluminum or brass/copper? It has previously been repaired with incorrect parts. Thanks.

Boy...where is John Hinckley when we need him?

I think that cars with aluminum radiators had tanks.

Some big blocks with either radiator but with no air had tanks.

Many small blocks with copper/brass radiators, air or no-air, didn't have tanks.

My understanding is that anything with air had no tank.

Boy...where is John Hinckley when we need him?

I think that cars with aluminum radiators had tanks.

Some big blocks with either radiator but with no air had tanks.

Many small blocks with copper/brass radiators, air or no-air, didn't have tanks.

My understanding is that anything with air had no tank.

Yes, agreed. I have come across the same info regarding the combination of rads and tanks. The bigger question is... for NCRS judging, what radiator is "factory" correct for my car? '69, 350/350, 4 spd, no-air. January '69 build date, VIN# 713XXX. Previously, the car had been pieced back together after a front end collision. The radiator support, radiator and shroud are not original to the car. I am looking to do a complete and proper restoration. Thanks.

...69 small block, manual trans, non-air. What is the correct radiator for this car? Aluminum or brass/copper?...

Aluminum radiator with tank and metal fan shroud. This is the L-46, but the plumbing would be the same for the base engine car.
69350hpA.jpg

Factory aluminum radiators have no fill cap and must use the surge tank. Copper/brass raditors have separate fill caps and do not use surge tanks.

The 1969 Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM), GM Chassis Service Manual, and the NCRS 68-69 Judging Guide would be a big help for you.

The links appearing in this post are not my doing. I have no association with the items being offered for sale. The tank in the link is not for a C3.

Last edited:
Aluminum radiator with tank and metal fan shroud. This is the L-46, but the plumbing would be the same for the base engine car.
69350hpA.jpg

Factory aluminum radiators have no fill cap and must use the surge tank. Copper/brass raditors have separate fill caps and do not use surge tanks.

The 1969 Assembly Instruction Manual (AIM), GM Chassis Service Manual, and the NCRS 68-69 Judging Guide would be a big help for you.

The links appearing in this post are not my doing. I have no association with the items being offered for sale. The tank in the link is not for a C3.

Thanks for this. Exactly what I'm looking for! Glad I joined the forum and hope I can count on all of you for future guidance.

Yes, agreed. I have come across the same info regarding the combination of rads and tanks. The bigger question is... for NCRS judging, what radiator is "factory" correct for my car? '69, 350/350, 4 spd, no-air. January '69 build date, VIN# 713XXX. Previously, the car had been pieced back together after a front end collision. The radiator support, radiator and shroud are not original to the car. I am looking to do a complete and proper restoration. Thanks.

All of this is very clearly detailed in the NCRS judging guide. No mystery. If you're thinking of getting into judging, don't touch anything on the car till you've read the books ten times.

Understood! ...and thanks for the advice. I will do the research. The problem is that the car was 'touched' by others before me.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom