Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

700r4 auto or 4+3 manual??????????

nelson84

Corvette
84 Z51 two tone bronze coupe 85 black on black
I am looking to buy a red 84-91 corvette. Is there any problems with the 4+3 manual trans? I hear some people complain that they are not very good at the track? Do they break easily?

I have a 84 2 tone bronze auto, and now I want a red vette. Trying to get one in the $4000 to $6000 range. Would like a manual for something different.

I believe it was 89 they went to th 6 sp. Very nice transmission. All you need to do with those is change the oil about every 10 to 20 K depending on how you use it.The spread on the gear ratios is nice. 4th is one to one 5th and 6th are both overdrives. Love mine. From what I have read here, if a 4+3 has been maintained they work quite well and last a long time. The secret seems to be to be sure to change the oil and filter often. The overdrive is like a atuo trans.

Glenn
:w

Now this is just my opinion, but a Vette should be a stick, you can play w/the power. I think the problems w/4+3 tranny occured in the earlier years, the one in my 88 works fine, I did the swicth/jumper mod. which give you OD when you hit 4th gear not 2nd, and once you cancel it, it's gone until you ask for it again, better than stock arrangment...............Just my 2ct.........

What is the switch/jumper mod? I have an 88.

Thanks

Depending on what you want to do I would look to other issues than what you have suggested. Both the auto and the stick are good transmissions. You can really beef up a 700R4. I would be look at engine, body condition etc. Depending on the milage a 700R4 may be ripe for a rebuild. Thats when the fun begins. Check out some of the things you can do with them. Good luck!!!:D

McSnagg, Hi, Most rearward switch on tranny(not OD unit), disconnect wires, secure out of the way,I taped mine. Make a short loop w/female ends and install that on switch. At first it did not make sense to jump switch because it seemed to me that you were bypassing switch, but there must be internal continuity in the tranny. Now I don't get OD until I hit 4th gear, Once you cancel OD it does not come in until you ask for it, no computer contol on the OD, driver brings the OD in.I did'nt like the factory arrangment ,1st to 2nd OD, now the car is more fun to drive. I got the info on this web site , I thought someone else would have chimed in. It also seemed that doing the jump/switch saves on wear/tear on the OD unit since it doesn't come in needlessly all the time.

like G Winter sez, the 4-3 od is like an auto tranny...more specifically, the engagement of the od gearing uses friction discs from an auto tran...and those friction discs do not hold up -- IF you use them...use the clutch pedal whenever shifting in/out of od to stop slippage/wear of the od friction discs (tech name for those is ''clutch pack'') and the od will last forever.

the front part of the 4-3 (1/2/3/4 gears, synchros, etc) is really a borg-warner super t-10, weapon of choice for many drag racers because it is bullet-resistant and parts and experienced service hands are readily available anywhere.

father & son

Thank you for this info. I've been useing mine this way ,all the time, since i felt the jerk you get when fliping the switch. was'nt sure about this method till you posted. It make since less friction longer the life. By the way, is it ok, to change OD. fluid and not the filter. I only put a few thousand mi.a yr.. But still change filter at 10,000 mi.period
Thanks again
vette-01.jpg

I guess the 85 4+3's were setup different than muddywaters describes above.
Mine has an OD switch in the console that can be either ON or OFF at any time. I basically use mine as a "5 speed", meaning I shift 1st through 4th and only use 4th OD (by turning switch ON) when on the highway. I also use clutch when engaging OD at all times. If I don't, it will clunk into OD unless I'm going about 75mph.

Supposedly, there's a factory OD override that automatically kicks the OD ON at a certain MPH, but last week I had it to 120mph in 4th gear, on a DynoJet, and it did not shift into OD.

You are correct rel3rd, 88's are set up different than 85's, I think for EPA issues.....

Gotcha. I'd hate this setup if it I wasn't able to somewhat control it. Sounds like you got yours under control as well. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom