Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

700R4 to 4L60

Marv02

Corvette
1986 C-4 Corvette
It's starting to look like I need to get anouther trans again.

I had my 700r4 rebuilt from a local shop and they screwd it up this the sencond time.

I dont want them touching my car ever again thats anouther story.

But If I have to replace it again I just buy a whole new one outright.

I heard the 4L60 is stronger than the 700r4 so If I am going to spend the money might as well look into this.

Is this swap worth it what do I need to change to do this as in the wiring will the computer on my1986 Vett work if not what do I need to get it to work.

Like i said the 700r4 I have now should have all the good stuff init now but the shop which did it who knows what they realy did or didnt do inside the trans.

I not pushing alot of power but it not stock either 365 HP and 465 TQ the 700r4 work good as long you dont put you foot in it if your on the gas hard it slips between shits it go's from 3500/4000 then shifts but at the same time it will spin the motor up to 6000 RPMs like some one pushes the clucth in and not letting off the gas doing so.

I know thers plces that say they make a 700r4 that can handle HP and TQ but if going to buy a new one might as well get the best bang for the buck.

I heard the 4L60 is stronger than the 700r4 .
Only difference is a name change.

Trans were upgraded in '88 and they are considered more desirable for builds
30 spline input shaft instead of 27 spline , etc.
GM did further upgrades through to the version used behind LSX engines

what do I need to change to do this as in the wiring will the computer on my1986 Vett work if not what do I need to get it to work.
Nothing unless you go to a 4L60E which requires a standalone controller

The difference between a 4L60 and a 4L60E is that the 4L60 transmission was used in the OBD1 cars because it was a mechanically controlled shift point transmission. When the OBD2 cars were introduced they made the 4L60 to have its shift points controlled electrically by the ECM so it was designated 4L60E with the E standing for electrically controlled. AS already stated the major difference would be in making sure your input shaft has the right spline configuration for the output spline from the engine. I would think you could get a rebuilt 4L60 from a reputable source such as Jasper cheaper than a new one. Jasper Transmissions

I heard the 4L60 is stronger than the 700r4 so If I am going to spend the money might as well look into this.

I think the 4L80E would be your best bet if you are looking for a beefier full replacement transmission.

You can get one out of 1500 HD and 2500 2006 (model approx.) and newer trucks from a salvage yard. It has a reputation for being the strongest GM tranny built from the factory.

Below is a picture that shows how much more massive the 4L80 is...

Left- 4L80E
Middle- 700R4 / 4L60E
Right- TH400
p117630_image_large.jpg

I think the 4L80E would be your best bet if you are looking for a beefier full replacement transmission.

You can get one out of 1500 HD and 2500 2006 (model approx.) and newer trucks from a salvage yard. It has a reputation for being the strongest GM tranny built from the factory.

Below is a picture that shows how much more massive the 4L80 is...

Left- 4L80E
Middle- 700R4 / 4L60E
Right- TH400
View attachment 2539

Again the E designates it is electronically controlled not cable controlled for the shifting points. His car is pre OBD2 so it needs the mechanically controlled shift cables.

the 4L60 transmission was used in the OBD1 cars. When the OBD2 cars were introduced they made the 4L60 to have its shift points controlled electrically by the ECM so it was designated 4L60E .
OBDII started in '96
4L60E came out earlier ;
In at least '94 Vettes with OBDI when they went to the alum case PCM (Powertrain Control module) instead of the previously used ECM ( Engine Control module)

There is no reason why a COMPETENT shop can't build a T700 /4L60 to handle 500+ Hp using the right aftermarket parts.
OP has had problems with his rebuild trans all along so seems he might have gone to Dodgy Bros Trans Inc
FWIW
I spent up big and put right parts in my T700.Has done 5 years of strip work;running sub 13 sec and 1.7X 60 ft times on drag radials.
When pulled down for inspection before 383 swap showed some heat marks on some of the steel clutches ( apparently from stalling it up on the line) ;
otherwise it was fine.The kevlar band was still as new

Again the E designates it is electronically controlled not cable controlled for the shifting points. His car is pre OBD2 so it needs the mechanically controlled shift cables.

Technically speaking... there are kits to retrofit. :cool!:

...And the OP was looking at scrapping his 700R4 in favor of something else.

Perhaps I read it wrong- but there's no harm in suggesting another option... even if it may be more than a weekend job and have some cost considerations. In the realm of possibility, the 4L80 is merely an option.

But they cost money. Perhaps more than the OP is looking to spend.

There is no reason why a COMPETENT shop can't build a T700 /4L60 to handle 500+ Hp using the right aftermarket parts.

Agreed- a competent shop would really help out.

FWIW vetteoz- How much did you spend on your rebuild? That might be helpful for the OP so that he can understand what yours ran in terms of dollars & parts.

Heck, I'm curious. Sounds like you have a drag racing beast with that 383. :thumb

Looking at Jaspers site it looks like they will build special units but there regular 4L60 for a 1988 Corvette is under 1600.00 and it carries a 3 year 100K warranty I doubt if it would cost over 3 or 4 hundred to get installed. I have seen Jaspers engines and transmission run well over 150k on friends cars. The part I like is what you get is built to the latest specs for your application so you get all the engineering changes that were done to the trans or engine after the production date of your car. In reality they are building 100's of units a month and not just one or two. So they have an actual ass'y process that has people trained and experienced at what they do not to say anything about the quality control inspectors that have to approve what was built by testing it.

Technically speaking... there are kits to retrofit. :cool!:

...And the OP was looking at scrapping his 700R4 in favor of something else.

Perhaps I read it wrong- but there's no harm in suggesting another option... even if it may be more than a weekend job and have some cost considerations. In the realm of possibility, the 4L80 is merely an option.

But they cost money. Perhaps more than the OP is looking to spend.

Agreed- a competent shop would really help out.

FWIW vetteoz- How much did you spend on your rebuild? That might be helpful for the OP so that he can understand what yours ran in terms of dollars & parts.

Heck, I'm curious. Sounds like you have a drag racing beast with that 383. :thumb

Heck, the OP would be tickled spitless if someone would just fix his 700 right...He's bought kits, in/out of the car 3 times I think, and the same shop delivers a tranny thats worse than it was yesterday. He's starting to think its the 700....not the shop that butchered the job..

Last time I opened my wallet at a trans shop it was 2K for a minor overhaul.

The Turbo-Hydramatic 700R4 and the Hydramatic 4L60 are generally the same transmission. There were a upgrades between 1982 and when that trans went out of production in 1993, but it's the same general design.

The 4L60E, introduced on light trucks for 1993 and on Corvette 1994 , used a lot of the same hardware and the same case but differed in that the valve body was redesigned for electronic controls.

The 4L60E is not specific to OBD2 engines.

My 700r4 has been rebuilt and works great. Had a series 2 shift kit installed so shifts are tight and quick. This is in my 92 which later year builds had the 460L. Sounds like your shop does subpar work, just find a better shop.

For the money it looks like I stick with the 700r4 thanks everyone.
I am goning to have the trans looked at by anouther shop and see if is something simple to fix before I buy a new trans.

I am goning to have the trans looked at by anouther shop and see if is something simple to fix before I buy a new trans.

:upthumbs

Probable your best move. In choosing a new shop be up front about what has happened in the past. Ask them if they would be willing to carefully document what they find and do to correct your transmission.

Explain that you may be considering legal action against the last shop depending on what turns up with their tear down and rebuild.

If they are hesitant to do that then keep looking for a shop that will do that. While the car is in the shop get all your paper work together and organize it so you have a good paper trail of the expense and time along with the cost you have endured. You never know you might just find you have a legal case against the other shop for recovery of your money.

4l80E or 4l80?

I have a good 4l80? transmission out of a 94 Chevy 3/4 ton.Will it work in my 84 Vette without a wiring problem?
Thanks for any info:eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom