Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

71 door alignment

A

allenmcmillian

Needing advise on aligning my door. The bottom of my passenger door does not match up with the body, top of the door is fine. Please HELP.

Allen

Not sure what you mean by top is ok but bottom is off. I had to remove the kick panel to adjust mine fore and aft I believe, but had to remove door panel to adjust up and down. I have a manual at home that I used, I'll look at when I get home. Pics would help to see what your talking about. Hard for me to visualize the top being good, but bottom not. On mine I got the spacing right front and rear and the top looking good, not sure I even looked at bottom. Sure someone will come along more knowledgeable than me, but I'll check tonight and post back.

Not sure from your description where the mismatch is, but I assume you mean either the lower front or rear corner of the door does not match the body. If the door is higher than the fender, remove a lower door hinge shim. If the lower rear corner of the door is lower than the dog leg, add shims as needed to the lower hinge until the corner comes out. Go slowly and continue to check the alignment at the top of the door as you go.

Got a picture?

:)

Well Allen, I lied. Got in last night, worked on car, lawn mower and cut grass and completely forgot to look at manual for you. I will try to remember tonight.

Ok Allen, this is what the service manual says. "The position of the door is adjusted by sliding the door fore and aft to the limit of the slotted holes in the hinge pillar; in and out adjustment is done by installation and removal of shims located between hinge pillar and front straps of hinges; up and down position is determined by adjustment of rear hinge straps in slots of inner door panel. To adjust door, proceed as follows: 1.remove door trim panel 2.remove striker bolt after first scribing line on lock pillar surface following circular flange. This enables proper installation position. 3.For up and down adjustment, remove hinge cover(2 screws) for access to upper hinge retaining screws. 4.For in and out, and fore and aft adjustment, it is necessary to first remove instrument panel(left door only), right dash pad(right door), cowl kick panel, air inlet duct, and radio speaker, in order to gain access to hinge retaining screws. 5.Adjust door as required.(do not allow doors to hang on one hinge without proper support.) 6. Install previously removed striker assembly, trim pads, and panels and lubricate door hinges with lubriplate or equivalent. NOTE:after performing any door adjustment, the window and lock pillar should be checked for alignment and adjusted as necessary. Do Not slam door after adjustment without first checking the door lock and striker engagement. An adjustment may be necessary.

Not sure how bad yours is out, but seems like alot of work to get it just right. Hope it helped. Glad I got it typed, storms have knocked out power a couple of times already and figured about the time I got it all typed, BOOM, the power would go out.:L Fortunately it didn't. Sorry I got to it so late, been working on the 71 tonight. Took the three dueces off and installed an edelbrock intake and carburetor. Good luck with your endeavor.:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom