Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

71 interior replacement decision

GetVette

Corvette
2000 conv, 81 & 79, Coupes
My 7th C-3, a barebones 71, L-48, auto, new Brands Hatch green paint out, old green vinyl in, and (O.M.G!) manual astrovent windows needs a new interior. RPO trim plate shows the car was hatched with the GM vinyl seat covers and standard door panels. I am inclined to go leather for this classic beauty but I wonder if breaching the #match designation with leather seating would alter the car's value or cause me sleepless nights. Ditto if I want to go with the Deluxe door panels -vs- the Standard that came with my car. Given the subject car, I'm not convinced the value would suffer significantly and the improved look would make up for any reduction. By the time 71`s are really valuable, the car will need more seats and such so the next owner could go back to RPO. Thanx for all qualified replies.

I guess it depends. If its gonna be a show car I would go "correct" on everything you can. If not, do whatever you want. Its your car after all.

I don't think the value would change much either way. Worst case it would lower the value based on the replacement cost of the seats and door panels.

-Gööney0

If you're going to switch, don't forget the wood grain panels on the doors and center console, not to mention the cut pile carpet. I think it would look a little weird without the complete package.

I vote for istalling the Deluxe interior (leather seat covers, cut pile carpet, wood grain decals on the door panels and console). I did this to my '72, and it was a major improvement to the look and feel.

Another thing to consider is that you couldn't get the deluxe interior package with the green interior in 71.

rainman said:
Another thing to consider is that you couldn't get the deluxe interior package with the green interior in 71.
Right you are. Only black and saddle were available. However, the saddle interior looks great with the green exterior.

Interior Color Change

We can make a leather interior any color you want. Get in touch with this address http://www.nitroalley.net

I was faced with a similar situation, as I had an original black vinyl interior. I almost went with the leather, but am recovering them in original vinyl. IMO the vinyl seats are very nice in this seat style.

But really, if you're worried about correctness, it will only take around $250 to restore the car back to the original vinyl if you decide to sell later on. So, I'd do it how YOU want it and worry about correctness if you decide to sell in the future.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Vince

Also... I would not recommend modifying the door panels if you want to be able to revert to original specs. That may be expensive to reverse. I'd stick to carpet (I used the cut pile on mine) and seat covers only.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom