Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

71 wiper motor part

jim coulter

Corvette
71 big block, 84 coupe
On my 71, it never had the arm (with the stud and ball) that attaches to the shaft on the wiper motor. looking at the shafts on the wiper arms, it appears it would have a double ball attached to it. does anyone know where I might find a replacement part.(thought maybe chevy had used the same part for various applications maybe or maybe one of the corvette part places carry them) If not, does anyone know the length and width of the arm and the distance between the ball and center of shaft on the wiper motor? Thanks for any help.

Jim,

Snap a pic of what you are talking about. I might have it laying around here off a parts car I was messing with.

If I have it, it is yours for the cost of mailing it to you.

Chris

I dont have a digital camera, but I have one the pictures pop out of, so I'll take one and scan it. Then I'll have to figure out how to include it since I haven't done that before. I looked in all my manuals for the correct name, but none of the pictures actually show that piece. When you mount your wiper motor to the firewall, and the stud (the one that turns when the wipers are on) sticks through, its the piece that mounts to"that" stud(the one with the two flat sides) the rods that run out to the wiper arms at the wiper transmission hook to it. I'll get a picture tomorrow. Thanks

Jim,

Take a look at the two pictures I've linked below. They are two views of the entire wiper assembly scanned from the GM Chassis & Body Parts catalog for Corvette 53-78. Be sure to look at View A and B in photo 1, I think that's what you're looking for. If you see the part in question, post the number next to it and which of the two photos it is in and I will give you the name and GM part number.

The scans are a little large so I didn't post them in the thread. Sorry if they are slow to load, I didn't want to lose the clarity of the numbers.

Photo # 1 - Corvette Wiper Assembly
Photo # 2 - Corvette Wiper Assembly

I looked at both pictures, it would have been picture #2, but the part isn't listed there either. If oyu follow the wiper rods (#18 in the photo) to where they come together(left and right) they mount to a bracket that in turn mounts to the shaft on the wiper motor. Its that bracket I need. As soon as we eat breakfast, I'm going outside and try to get a picture that I can scan to include.Thanks

Hmmm, well, these pieces attach to the ball studs coming off the main pivot from the wiper motor.

I will have to dig around and see if I have that too. I should, but I can't remember for sure where I put it.

The ball studs and main pivot, that sounds like it. I would guess the part would be about 1 1/2 " long probably with a double ball stud on one end and a hole for mounting it to the shaft on the other. I dont guess I'll take that picture now, because the picture you showed was all I was going to be able to get and then say it attaches to these( since I dont have the part) thanks. If no one has or knows where I can get the part, if they can tell me the length, width and distance from the ball studs to the hole for the wiper shaft, then I could make one. Could be chevrolet still has them(maybe used them on more than one vehicle). Thanks for the help guys. I'm fixing to go out and work on the 71 shortly, but I'll come in and check the post every hour or so. Thanks again for everyones help so far.

Jim,

I know for a fact I have this part somewhere in my shop. I just climbed through the attic and my back rows of boxes, and nadda. I will keep looking.

At one time I had three C3 wiper motors and wiper arm assemblies kicking around here.

I would think it is a Vette specific part because it dictates to a large degree the motion of the arms.

It would be a little tricky to duplicate without some degree of trial and error.

I appreciate the time and effort you've spent. If you find it let me know, I'll buy it and pay shipping. My plug wires will be here next wednesday, so hopefully I'll be cranking it back up in the next week or so and it will be fun to be able to drive it again. Since the weathermen cant seem to predict the weather I never know when I'll be out and it will rain, so I'd like to have the wipers working before I drive it, unless its just a spin around the block(which would cover about 4 miles) Thanks again.

Yes, exactly something like that. Chris thinks he might have one laying around somewhere, hope so. In case he cant find it, do you know where to find one? thanks, jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom