Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

72 Coupe - Alternate Radio

T

taylorj

I am new and have bought my first Vette three months ago. Everything is great except for the sucky factory radio sounds...!

I was wondering what the majority of people have been doing about the stock radio in these cars. I want to keep the original look but do not need a functional dash radio.

I was thinking of buying a radio/CD player and putting it in the storage compartment. I found a company that sells car radio antenna splitters so That if I wanted to I could have both. Maybe play the original with the front speakes and then have a new more powerful radio play some rear speakers.

Does anyone know where one might find a decent priced shaft radio on todays market? I cannot find then anywhere ate Circuit City, Best Buys or HH Greg. I did however found a Audiovox brand cassette/FM stereo radion at Autozone (for $59) bin the event I just opt to replace the dash radio...

Have you tried Corvette America? They have several indash replacements. These are AM FM Stereo Cassettes. If I recall, there was one that had an optional 6 changer CD player that is controlled from the dash. They are online.

Corvette America sure does have those items but I dont really want to spend $600 PLUS!! That is what I am talking about... These post radios are outrageous.

KENWOOD MAKES A MODEL KRC 2007 THAT FITS.ITS GOT RCA OUT BUT NO CD CONTROLS IT COST ABOUT $100

Any hints as to who sells the Kenwood you are talking about?

Try this site

TaylorJ,

Try Cruchfields. They have a website and are one of the best audio sources for the reasonably priced to the exotically priced. They will have a couple "shaft" radios and appropriate speaker combo's for your '72. I kept "biting the bullet" and repairing the stock radio in my old '72. However once the headers were installed and the tops off........you couldn't hear the radio anyway.:D

I still have the same problem today with my '81. I have a Kenwood model that 1987 Z51 (Ken) mentioned.

Good Luck.......... Nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom