Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

72 coupe side vent question?

72TARGABLUE

Were any 72 coupes produced without egg crate side vents? The VIN is a late production model ~ 26K of 27K.

72TARGEBLUE, be sure to stop in to the new members section and introduce yourself!

Welcome to the :CAC

What does your car have in place of the typical 72 style side vent?

Side vent question

What does your car have in place of the typical 72 style side vent?

It is an open vent identical to the 73 model. However there is no evidence the car was ever in an accident even though it's been repainted. I'm curious if the switch was made on late production 72's.

Welcome

Welcome to the CAC! :CAC

I have a late build '72 as well-June 13th. I have the egg crate side vents. I have never heard of any '72 being produced with the '73 "look" side vents.

My hunch is someone wanted to "update" the look of the car in the mid-seventies and had it customized.

Post a couple pics-I just happen to like "Targa Blue '72's"...!:chuckle

Rick
:gap

My hunch is someone wanted to "update" the look of the car in the mid-seventies and had it customized.

:gap
My hunch is that someone found the egg crates to be a PITA to wash and wax, and put the '73 vents in to make his/her life easier.

They're really not that bad to wash/wax or dry. Not as bad as I expected anyway, since I remember people complaining about cleaning them way back when.

My hunch is that someone found the egg crates to be a PITA to wash and wax, and put the '73 vents in to make his/her life easier.

They're really not that bad to wash/wax or dry. Not as bad as I expected anyway, since I remember people complaining about cleaning them way back when.

I agree, mostly. Does the car still have the chrome bumper on front? If so, I would think that someone just pulled them out and liked it that way. Personally, the egg crates have grown on me and I like them.

Lets see pics.I don't think it was replaced with 73 style unles it was in a fender bender.I've never seen a 70-72 without the eggcrates.

Is it possible that what you have is the original side fender with the grill removed and some body work done to make the opening thats left resemble the 73 side vent ? When you take the grill out whats left is not all that much different than the 73 vent. Try to get a really good look from inside the vent using a bright light. Thats your best bet for finding some clues. Look to see if the tab that holds the clip for the stud thats on the bottom of the grill is still there.
It would have been very difficult for the factory to have used the 73 side fender in building a 72 front clip since there are many changes from the 72 fender to the 73 fender.
Still curious,
Alan

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom