Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

72 Differential Cover Removal

72Slydog

Corvette
96 LT1 Competion Yellow
Help! Does anyone have an easy solution to removing the differential cover? One of the leaf spring bolt ears broke off my cover and I need to replace the cover only. All of the manuals that I've read state that both the carrier and crossmember assemblies have to be removed in order to replace the cover. Looking for any suggestions. Thanks

It's easier to do, if you follow the recommended procedure. I imagine that everything that must be removed seems a bit daunting at first and truthfully, it is. The problem stems from accessing the four bolts that drop from a hole atop the crossmember and bolt into the top of the differential cover. It is possible to remove it this way, but you'll be doing it blindly and relying on "feel." Lining it back up is no picnic either, with everything still in place. If you're planning on using RTV, you'll probably end up smearing it all over the place, also. You could give this a shot, but the frustration I experienced is really not worth it.

Chris had mentioned once, when this topic came up, that you could cut into the fiberglass from the inside and get at the bolts. The problem is repairing the hole, which would probably be best done by fabricating an "acees panel" and using a gasket. There's no simple solutions, I guess.

--Bullitt

And make sure that you watch the bolts when you replace the cover. The longer bolts, if put in the wrong position, will break your new cover. Check with a supplier like Bair's and they can hook you up with a stronger than stock unit. If you need the pages from the factory manual, e-mail me and I can scan them and e-mail to you.

- Louie

Thanks for the info. I spent the better part of last Saturday trying to come up with an easier way to remove the cover. Will stick to the manual procedure. I have a heavier than stock cover that was given to me by the previous owner. Guess he knew that this would be a major job.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom