Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

72 LT1 value

J

jmp

Would you expect the price of an LT1 to drop if the block was not original (all else being equal)? If so, by roughly how much?

Joseph:

Personally for me, the value in a LT-1 is the original motor. I would consider a value similar to a standard '72 350 equipped Vette without the original motor. Granted the VIN will have the "L" designator in the 5th digit to show it is an LT-1, but what made the car was it's motor.

Just my two pennies worth.

Steve

P.S. Have seen a seller listing a white LT-1 Roadster. 1st he had it around $30,000. Then I saw it listed with it having a replacement motor in the low 20's. To my knowledge it hasn't sold yet.

Putting the original LT-1 ZR-1 motor back into my vert. Ididn't realize that the CKZ suffix meant that it was a ZR-1 and that only 20 were made in 1972. Rebuilding it as we speak but adding a little oomph to it, via Dart heads and other mods.

gdh said:
Putting the original LT-1 ZR-1 motor back into my vert. Ididn't realize that the CKZ suffix meant that it was a ZR-1 and that only 20 were made in 1972. Rebuilding it as we speak but adding a little oomph to it, via Dart heads and other mods.

Excellent! Hey the break down I have for production on the ZR-1 cars is this:

Coupe/T-Top's: 14

Convertibles: 6

A number 1 restored "T-Top" car could go for around $65,000 +/- . Would think a ZR-1 Vert would be much higher. Might want to consider (if you have the parts) rebuilding the motor with its original heads etc.

Any documentation for the car? Tank sticker, window sticker, etc??

In any case.............COOL!

Steve

I am trying to get any documentation on it. If the car had originally been sold up here, GM Canada would be able to provide it to me. They told me that the US operations do not have the same service. I have found the previous owner that had it since 1990 but he hasn't gotten back to me. I know that he is a collector, who had 2 others when he sold me mine, a '63 spit window and a '71 bb. He got rid of mine to make way for the Z06 when it first came out.

As for the price drop, that depends on the buyer and whether the block is truly not the original or not verifiable but possibly the right block.

I have a 1970 LT-1 and all numbers match with one exception - the block. It was decked back in '77. Based on the casting codes, the likely hood that the block is correct is close to 95%. Those blocks were built from 69-79 and the date code is correct for the year, the VIN # is not there though.

Also, the value of the LT-1 is in the heads, manifold, and carb, especially since the NCRS judging only deducts 88 ponits for the wrong block. Thus, the car could still be Top Flight certified even without the original block.

JRZYDVL said:
As for the price drop, that depends on the buyer and whether the block is truly not the original or not verifiable but possibly the right block.

I have a 1970 LT-1 and all numbers match with one exception - the block. It was decked back in '77. Based on the casting codes, the likely hood that the block is correct is close to 95%. Those blocks were built from 69-79 and the date code is correct for the year, the VIN # is not there though.

Also, the value of the LT-1 is in the heads, manifold, and carb, especially since the NCRS judging only deducts 88 ponits for the wrong block. Thus, the car could still be Top Flight certified even without the original block.

Are you saying a wrong block or a corrected block (with correct date codes) is elgible for Top Flight Certification? A corrected LT-1 engine with all correct part numbers should be allowed to be certified, a wrong block, no way. To the average Corvette Lover, it is nearly impossible to tell a properly prepared corrected block from the original. You can talk about broach marks on the pad, surfacing "scars" and uneven stamping to dismiss engines as not the factory equipped original, buts lets not get too critical. Folks bought the LT-1 to see the tach needle over 6,000 RPM. Lots of these original engines just did not survive. My hat's off to the LT-1 restorers who brought back the former glory of this Road Rocket by doing it right, and doing it right deserves Top Flight Honors. Just my humble opion.

72LT1Steve said:
Joseph:

Personally for me, the value in a LT-1 is the original motor. I would consider a value similar to a standard '72 350 equipped Vette without the original motor. Granted the VIN will have the "L" designator in the 5th digit to show it is an LT-1, but what made the car was it's motor.

Just my two pennies worth.

Steve

P.S. Have seen a seller listing a white LT-1 Roadster. 1st he had it around $30,000. Then I saw it listed with it having a replacement motor in the low 20's. To my knowledge it hasn't sold yet.

Steve,
I respect your opinion, but I must disagree. To say that a legitimate original LT-1 Vette without the original motor is valued the same as a base engine model that does have its original motor either, does not make sense to me. Professinal restorers can correct the motor in each, and the '70 LT-1 Conv is worth $35,000+, the base '70 Vette Conv, less than half that amount. Sure, we all prefer the original, but a true LT-1 car can be restored to the point where it is impossible to tell from an original. With the low production numbers of the LT-1, just having a verifiable one is a great start. Especially since most were driven hard, not babied like a Base Engine, A/C, Automatic. Let's restore them right. Forget the Dart heads, and the Torker Intake and concentrate on putting them back to the way Zora and the Corvette Team first made them. These guys knew something about Sports Cars and Engines.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thank you. I am finding that several parts of the original engine are wrong. Fact of the matter is that the car can be returned to originally glory including numbers match with a few exceptions.

While any base 1970 vette can be turned into an LT-1, a legit LT-1 (tank sticker documented) built to factory spec with all correct parts that meets performance standards without matching numbers still a rare bird. While it will sell for less than a pure LT-1, these cars are hard to find.

Restoring a 1800's home means returning it to an original state. This will generally mean reproduction items through much of the house because the originals were destroyed, removed, etc. Why does the same not hold for the car?

Mine sat for 23+ years after 8 years of neglect and abuse. To bring it back to original glory is no small feat.

Proved to save it!

JRZYDVL said:
Thank you. I am finding that several parts of the original engine are wrong. Fact of the matter is that the car can be returned to originally glory including numbers match with a few exceptions.

While any base 1970 vette can be turned into an LT-1, a legit LT-1 (tank sticker documented) built to factory spec with all correct parts that meets performance standards without matching numbers still a rare bird. While it will sell for less than a pure LT-1, these cars are hard to find.

Restoring a 1800's home means returning it to an original state. This will generally mean reproduction items through much of the house because the originals were destroyed, removed, etc. Why does the same not hold for the car?

Mine sat for 23+ years after 8 years of neglect and abuse. To bring it back to original glory is no small feat.

Proved to save it!

JR,
You lost me with "restoring a 1800's home....." From your message it sounds as if we both agree, any true LT-1 is a rare car and deserves the best and most correct restoration the owner can afford. The LT-1 was in its finest hour in 1970! Best of luck on your restoration.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom