Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

73 BUILD SHEET ?

CAPNZ

Corvette
1973 White coupe
My 73 454 has the build sheet on top of the gas tank. I seen it when I removed the rubber boot on the filler. Last year someone here said I should leave it intact and take a close-up photo of it. Which I intend to do. My Q is, "any tips on dropping the tank"? I ran it almost dry so there's very little gas in her. The garage wants $60.00 to do it. I'm getting the rear bumpers re-chromed so I might as well do it in one shot. THANKS!

Just photograph in place and replace the tank. That's the ONLY way to keep it original.

Not a bad job, but a little bit of a PITA getting it back in by yourself with gravity working against you. The mufflers are going to get in the way a bit too. You may need to drop the hangers from the frame.

If you intened to reuse the anti-squeek pads be very careful with them. They will most likely be very brittle. If you get new, keep in mind they won't be just like the old ones.

Be careful with the plastic fuel separator on the left side. It's a $50+ boo-boo if you break it.

You may also want to consider getting new rubber hoses and replace the old while you are in there.

Check the condition of the sending gauge and strainer while you have it down. Replace with a new gasket.

Most of all, remember you are working with a potential bomb even after you drain the fuel. Wear some safetly goggles unless you like dirt and rust, crap falling in your eyes.

:w

WOW! Thanks a ton. Being a retired F.F. I'm aware of KABOOMS! I'm going to print this and let the chevy garage do it. I like doing stuff myself but this one I'll pass on. Albeit, can't be as bad as a knew Tach cable & heater core. OUCH! Thanks again.

Just photograph in place and replace the tank. That's the ONLY way to keep it original.

I've seen some folks tape heavy plastic sheets over the build sheet to help protect it. NCRS wouldn't like it, but I don't think they look at the top of the tank anyway. ;)

Most of all, remember you are working with a potential bomb even after you drain the fuel.

Especially after you drain the fuel. It's the vapors that ignite. A full tank is actually less likely to blow, although if it does there's a lot more to burn.

Please be careful! :D

Especially after you drain the fuel. It's the vapors that ignite. A full tank is actually less likely to blow, although if it does there's a lot more to burn.

Please be careful! :D

That's what I meant to indicate. Thanks Erik. But that full tank is mighty heavy! :rotfl

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom