Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

75 & 81 rear bumpers

M

mikejpss

I am "looking" at a 75 model to bring home and love for a few years. Was wondering if a 81 rear bumber would mate up to a 75 model body> Looking at the mail order sites can see where they "fit" but all recommend the "trueflex" design that allows some give in the material. Does anyone have any experience with this task and can add any info (please) Thanks in advance.
;)

It will match the body perfectly but some fitting will be required on the bumper side. If you plan to use the tail light brackets as a mounting point (like the original) those brackets will need some mods. Some people just mount the bumper to the body, but it will be much stronger to use the tail light brackets also. The aluminum reinforcement will need to be notched where the 1980 license pocket is. And you should fabricate an aluminum bracket to support the bumper behind the license pocket.

CompletedRR.jpg

Finishedrear1024X768.jpg

Nice

Very nice looking 75...back end looks fantastic:upthumbs

WOW

ahoover- that is one kickbutt rearend, especially with the rectanglur exhaust ports.Think I will do the same with mine, if I buy the 75. Would you mind if I kept your email address on file and leaned on you when the time comes for advice?
That rear is way too cool man........

mikejpss said:
Would you mind if I kept your email address on file and leaned on you when the time comes for advice?
That rear is way too cool man........

thank you. get in touch when you are ready! And save your old bumper as a template, if you plan to use the '75 style letters.:D

22229stingray81 said:
Man that looks good, what color is that??

-Tatortot

Bright Green Metallic, wouldn't have been my choice, but I'm going to keep it since only about 1,600 were produced.

Nice looking car! The rear bumper I never liked on the 75-79 vetes. Out here in California the 75 & earlier cars are smog exempt ( at least for now), so the appeal of buying a 75 or earlier is high for me, the 74 & 75 are a lot cheaper, so it may be easier to make the purchase sooner, when it comes tome to add the 3rd Vette to the family. Your's turned out great. I have seen it done before, but they always seemed to be a little bit off in the fitment. I am happy to see it can be done right.

That's the nicest rear conversion I've ever seen on an C3 with a 80-82 rear end. And the cut outs for the exhaust are awesome. Well done!!! :D

.......... nut

JOE BYRNE said:
Very nice looking 75...back end looks fantastic:upthumbs

100% concur!!

The rear looks great!!

I think I'll be on the look out for some chrome 70-72 exhaust cut out bezels in Carlisle this year. I hope you don't mind ahoover, but THAT I gotta have on my '81!!!!! the more I look at it the more I love it. Looks like it was factory. Did you do this yourself or have a good body guy do it??

........ nut

Nut said:
Did you do this yourself or have a good body guy do it??........ nut

Thanks again guys. I did it myself and I used to be a body guy, still enjoy it as a hobby (I do cars for the fun of it if the owners help). It all started because I wanted a chambered exhaust with big tips done in Corvette style. I was going to use a '75 bumper and eliminate the guards for a smoother look, but I chose the '80 bumper because there were no guards and I like the '80 spoiler because I feel it improves the profile of the body. I can always put it back to stock, but I doubt I ever will.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom