Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'75 exhaust system

O Vette

Corvette
2004 Black Coupe, 1977 Yellow T-Top
Could someone tell me if 1975 frames came with a two hole cross member for dual exhaust or with one hole cross members for y pipe exhaust. I have been researching this question and don't seem to be able to find a consistent answer. I have seen pictures of '75 frames with two holes in a cross member but, have seen pictures of and looked under some 75's that have y pipes. Could the two hole dual exhaust have been an option or available only on L82 models?

Could someone tell me if 1975 frames came with a two hole cross member for dual exhaust or with one hole cross members for y pipe exhaust. I have been researching this question and don't seem to be able to find a consistent answer. I have seen pictures of '75 frames with two holes in a cross member but, have seen pictures of and looked under some 75's that have y pipes. Could the two hole dual exhaust have been an option or available only on L82 models?

Your '75 should have 2 holes, as does my '76. Stock exhaust, long gone, had the the Y pipe with 2 holes in the cross member.

Thanks to the catalytic converter, the stock exhaust routes through the passenger side hole only. Didn't matter what if it was an L82 or L48. GM didn't redesign the crossmember so you still have 2 holes. Makes it really easy to retrofit a true dual exhaust to make things breathe easier.

Thanks to the catalytic converter, the stock exhaust routes through the passenger side hole only. Didn't matter what if it was an L82 or L48. GM didn't redesign the crossmember so you still have 2 holes. Makes it really easy to retrofit a true dual exhaust to make things breathe easier.
I agree, with the above.
I recommend that if you're still running the orig stock cat converter, replace it with a non-stock type. The orig style pellets broke down and caused clogging of the unit.
Cheers :beer

Thanks for the information. This folks in this forum are a great help to those of us who need some help.

The above info is correct. I also checked my 1975 dealer brochure and it shows the frame with the two holes for the exhaust pipes.;)

Go to Corvette Central and buy their L-82 dual exhaust system with Magnaflow mufflers. Get rid of the Cat and smog pump and finally enjoy a little more power and great sound. I did this a year ago with my 75 and love it.

Ken

Go to Corvette Central and buy their L-82 dual exhaust system with Magnaflow mufflers. Get rid of the Cat and smog pump and finally enjoy a little more power and great sound. I did this a year ago with my 75 and love it.

Ken

I just bought my vette and realized it has true duals on it, but it does not sound impressive at all. How would you describe the magnaflow sound? I need to get new exhaust anyway as my pipes are starting to get rusty and it appears one has been replaced already. I want something deeper and throaty without sounding obnoxious. Basically, I want it to sound like a real muscle car!

I just bought my vette and realized it has true duals on it, but it does not sound impressive at all. How would you describe the magnaflow sound? I need to get new exhaust anyway as my pipes are starting to get rusty and it appears one has been replaced already. I want something deeper and throaty without sounding obnoxious. Basically, I want it to sound like a real muscle car!

You want flowmasters 40 series mufflers then. They have 3 different types, originals with eventually make your ears bleed so you might want to go with either the Delta flow or the regular two chamber.

I've seen 'muffler' videos on U-Tube, but it's hard to really tell with a recording. The best place to get a buffet of sound is at a large car show. Get there early as they motor in and find ones you like and talk to the owners.
Don't forget, there's many variations that will effect the final sound of exhaust.
Engine type & mods. Combination's of stock exh. manifolds vs. headers, length of headers/collectors. Diameter of exh. pipe, bends, length, crossovers, etc.
Every muffler is also different in sound, along with combination's of mufflers with resonators added.
I'm using headers and 2.5" dual exh. with DynoMax Turbos on mine and like 'em. They don't make me deaf just cruising, but roar when the engine does. Don't even know if they make those anymore...

I want it to sound like a real muscle car!

it's my understanding that if you go with either Flowmasters or Magnaflows you'll be in good shape. You might also consider looking at chambered mufflers. Look into Cherry Bombs as well.

I have some chambered mufflers outfitted on my '73. I've got them on 21/2" stainless steel pipes. I'm running a stroker motor with headers and I couldn't be happier with both the performance and the sound of these mufflers. My mufflers are Powerstick chambered mufflers. I'm working on putting a couple of videos on Youtube.

Do you have any hot rod shops or a local muffler shop with experience? Check out "corvette with thump" on youtube. My video sounds just like my car. I have flowmasters.

I did what Krscholz advised for my 79 and am quite happy with the sound and the performance I got out of the system.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom