Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

75 L48 Value

spleen

Corvette
None yet, but working on it.
Hi.

I'm pretty new here, so I don't know if it's acceptable to post this type of thing or not, but I thought I'd check here for some advice.

I'd like a C3 fixer-upper and I found one in my area on eBay. A 75 wouldn't be my first choice, but I'd like to check it out anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2417968003

It's within 80 miles of my house, so transportation wouldn't be a problem.

Also, I eMailed the seller about the insurance estimate and this is the reply I received:

>>
The ins estimate is for ~ $1200, over half was labor, next most
expensive thing was the urethane bumper. Needs a bumper, grill frame needs to be straightened, needs 2 grills, minor fiberglass repair around head lamp door, paint for repaired areas. I just drove it around the block a few times. Needs a front tire to drive any distance.
<<

So to be conservative I'd add about $2K to the purchase price. I can do some of the work myself but not the major stuff.

I've done some looking on the net for general prices, but not many sources go back to 75. Also, I'm not experieced enough to know the general history of the 75's, maybe they're not the best for a first Vette.

Ok, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. Yes, your post is more than acceptable, but I'll leave the advice to be given by the experts. I'm sure someone will be along to reply to your inquiry shortly. :)

IMHO,$3500 at present ... too much. Look around you'll find another mid-to-late 70's that's nicer and complete for under $5500.
JACK:gap

Spleen,

I would be very surprised if it could be fixed up for $2000. Two deluxe door panels will cost you $700. The exhaust is probably in the $200 - 300 range for the parts. Rear carpet will approach $100. Even if you do the body work your self for the front bumper, I wouldnt be surprised if the parts for the front bumber repair came in around $500 or more.

I don't know what the rest of the paint looks like but if the whole car needs painting you are looking at $3 - 5,000 for a daily driver paint job.

And there will always be surprises.

Having said that and assuming that the rest of the car is in good shape, $3,500 is probably a decent price for that car. Take a look at the checklist here at the CAC for information on what to look for when buying. Rust is the main concern with the birdcage and the frame near where the trailing arms attach the most talked about areas.

You could probably look around and find a better car in the $5,000 - 7,000 range but these cars all have a "surprise" factor that will cost you some money.

Good luck.

Bob

Two Words..."Forget It"

I agree with jack, keep looking. My guess is the actual miles on this car is 200k+. The rear bumper looks like it's off of an '82. definetly not a 75 bumper, also 75's didn't have a pop out rear glass, must be aftermarket bubba fix.
Joe V.

Forget it big time.

I have a 75 and it can be a nice first Vette. They have low horspower, few electronic gadgets to go bad, they are simple machines to repair yourself with a proper maual and a little common sense (and help from all the great people here at CAC). The rear bumper is definately not a 75--which makes me wonder how much of the car is a bubba job.

If you want a reasonably nice car that you may not have to throw a lot of money at right a way, I would think you need to spend around $8000. That should get you a mid to late 70's car in decent shape.

Good luck with your hunt.

Spleen, just noticed you are in Lancaster. I was there last month at a Corvette Breakfast at Miller's. If you need any help in finding a nice vette in your area get in touch with the local club there.
Lancaster Corvette Club. They will be happy to help you out.
These guys and gals really know vettes and own some of the nicest Corvettes on the East Coast.
Let us know how you make out, and Welcome to The Corvette Action Center.

I too run a '75. They can be made to have respectable power with just a little bit of work. If you know how to do engine work, you can scrap the stock 882 heads in favor of some Camel humps with 64cc chambers pretty cheaply. While you're at it, stick a cam in there that will give you some low end, something like the Summit 1101 or 1102 and you'll be a lot happier with the performance.

As far as the body work, some of that could be done yourself. The front bumper for instance, is not difficult to R&R. The headlight also is not difficult to replace.

My humble opinion is, you could get a complete car for a couple grand more. But, if you're on a budget and would rather buy a fixer upper so that you don't have to lay the cash out up front, then go for it. Again, in my opinion, the real fun in hobby cars is in the work going into it. Once it's finished, I lose a lot of interest in the car. Case in point, my '68 Firebird. Anyone wanna buy it?

Just my 2 cents.

Ron

PS. Welcome to the forum!!!!

Thanks all

Great advice all. Thanks a lot for replying to my question. Thanks also for the warm welcome. I look forward to hanging out here and learning what I can before I actually get my first C.

Dean J.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom