Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'75 stingray...good deal?

J

JoeBob1901

My friend's wife's dad has a '75 Corvette Stingray with a 350 about 90 miles from me...'75 in GREAT condition. It looks like the average cost of these in OK condition are at least 9.5k, good ones look like they can bring 15+. This one has a nice paintjob, very few blemishes..couple nicks up by the T-tops, few lil scuffs that will buff out...nothing big whatsoever, it's been garaged. It has a tear in the drivers seat that's new...which really upset me, the leather is in awesome condition esp for the age :cry. Otherwise..pretty awesome condition, got brand new tires on it, krager wheels, 350/turbo 400 with a shiftkit. The engine ran awesome, the previous owner supposidly did a lil work to the engine..it soudns pretty quiet...and, has a lil bit of lobe in the exhaust sound, and has a ton of power, i rode with the owner and we talked about it a bit...soudns like it's just been sitting in garages being fixed up lately, new master cylinder, brakes, brake lines, bearings, bushings, etc. The body looked good, no cracking...etc.

It looks like i can get it between 7-8, which soudns like a steal from what all these are going for, especially in this condition.

heres the link...and heres a pic
http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15488/51926#content

it's a beauty!

What do you guys think? It sounds like a good deal to me....I'm also a ford guy..primarily trucks (offroading bronco/F-350 diesel), and the only car i've ever owned was an 87 cutlass, so...any hints/tips/things to lookout for would be a great help!

Looks like an otherwise nice driver. The question only you can answer is: Is this the Corvette for you?
:)

JoeBob1901 ~ Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community ~

:w JoeBob

The photo's of the car sure look nice, as Mike said, does the car "do it for you" ;) If you are wondering about how much it's Worth $$$ then You need to ask yourself how much is worth to you ... on a collectable value worth, it's hard to say without seeing the car in person, but from viewing the photo's... the first thing that jumped out ar me... is the color.... I don't believe Black was an optional exterior color for 1975 ;) if you check the trim tag on the drivers side door frame it should show the original color, ext/interior ..

It looks nice and if mechanically sound could make a good 1st Corvette... just be aware that it is 31+ years old and sometimes it takes a bit of TLC and $$ to keep 'em on the road..

Bud

Looks good from the outside; how many miles on engine? have you checked the usual areas for rust? a paint job can cover a lot of problems so be careful. Check to see how the doors and hood line up (crack gap). I noticed that the headlights were up in your photo and the lights off. Could indicate a vacume problem. The price sounds good if it checks out. Try to get somebody who knows something about old vettes to look at it for you.

Looks good from the outside; how many miles on engine? have you checked the usual areas for rust? a paint job can cover a lot of problems so be careful. Check to see how the doors and hood line up (crack gap). I noticed that the headlights were up in your photo and the lights off. Could indicate a vacume problem. The price sounds good if it checks out. Try to get somebody who knows something about old vettes to look at it for you.

well, theres 36k on the clock, so..engine has that or less. I checked all over for rust...all looks good, i'm used to rusty ford trucks, couldnt find anything on this one, everything felt solid. All the panels lined up fine, didn't notice anything "off" or "rigged up". I put up the lights, drivers side came up first, then a sec later the passenger, when i put em down the drivers side one wanted to stick a lil, maybe the vacuum pump/lines need some work? My friend has been around alot of classic cars, and this car was his father in laws whose owned it 7 years or so, and..he's put like a thousand miles on it if that, just small repairs and small bits of driving. I think i remember hearing that this owner was the one that had the paintjob done, i couldn't find any spots that were overspray, or anything in door jambs that i can recall, so...they must have done a good job on it, the paintjob looks good!

Picked it up for right at 8, the loan % was 14%, ouch! lol, good thing i'm currently on deployment orders getting ready to go to iraq by the end of the month and i get 6% on all loans! It'll get paid off right as i get back, so coming out good on that.

The corvette looked really clean...and looked like it was taken care of, i guess all the parts that he's put on were from some restoration mags, of some sort? I dunno, he's sending me a haynes manual and mags to order parts out of with the vette.

I swear...this vette could turn me from ford to chevy :confused

It looks good in the pictures. If you want a good magazine to subscribe to, I suggest Corvette Fever or Vette. I think the are published by the same company. Lots of good articles on different years and question area. Of course this forum is a great way to get great information. Did you check the windshield area for rust? This is hidden a lot of times and hard to discover until you have leaks or other problems. Anyway GOOD LUCK with your vet and your deployment.

I think you got a nice vette for a good price. Welcome to the world of vette ownership. Wait until you ride around and people honk and wave and make comments about how nice your car is. I still get it every time I take mine out.

Congratulations on joining the Corvette faternity. It looks like a nice car and a good buy. Make sure that you check the frame in front of the rear wheels and the windshield frame. These are the areas most prone to rust on a vette. The rest of the car is fiberglass so there is no rust on body panels. If you look on the reverse side of the panels you can usually tell if they have been repaired. If replaced it takes someone who knows what they are looking at.

Good luck in your tour in Iraq. If this is your first vette and your first Chevy welcome back from the dark side. I am sure you will never again purchase a Ford.

Looks like a clean car. Headlight operation that you mentioned is normal. At least, that's what it does on my car as well. Since the engine and paint have been worked over, the price sounds about right since it's no longer original. ("Who cares?" if you are buying the car for yourself to enjoy!)

You'll find any and all info you could want to know about your car here at the CAC. Just ask and it won't be long before people start chiming in with the correct answers or places to start looking!

Welcome to the
:CAC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom