Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

75 vette

09challenger

Corvette
1975 red coupe
;help I have a switch on the drivers side on the right hand side what is that switch for????

If it's on the console side panel by your right knee, it's probably the rear defogger switch.

:beer

If im correct the system tries to keep u alive. older cars were not the best sealed car and exhaust can get in the interior. So the system vents out the air inside the cabin. But this is just what ive been told. Hope it helps

:beer But, what does the ventilation system do exactly?
On cars with A/C, it is nothing. Without A/C it is a flow through air system. When the front vents are open the rear vents at the base of the window open and allow air to flow through even with the windows closed.

tom...

Nope that's not it,I don't have the lines in my back window!!
It did not use an electric element in the glass, was a blower system that blew warm air over the glass. Should be a blower mounted behind the driver (or maybe just the mounting hardware).

tom...

On cars with A/C, it is nothing. Without A/C it is a flow through air system. When the front vents are open the rear vents at the base of the window open and allow air to flow through even with the windows closed.

tom...
I posted a question about the system on another forum and this is the response I got...

It's a vacuum operated component to open and close the flaps below the grills behind the rear window on the deck. It is part of the Astro Ventilation system, and when you have your climate control settings adjusted to certain settings, it either opens or closes these flaps depending on if there is ventilation flowing through the interior. I believe non-A/C cars have this operational (my 73 is non-A/C and it works) and for A/C cars or convertibles, it may have these flaps permanently closed (not 100% sure of this.) It works when a combination of temp setting and type of vent is selected. There are drain tubes present there under the grills on all cars, which drain into the wheelwells.

My question now is-I don't have a switch on the side panel, is that for something else or should I have a switch?

My question now is-I don't have a switch on the side panel, is that for something else or should I have a switch?
The rear defrost system was optional, in fact very few cars had them. So if you do not have the rear defrost then you should not have the switch on the side panel.

tom...

I posted a question about the system on another forum and this is the response I got...

It's a vacuum operated component to open and close the flaps below the grills behind the rear window on the deck. It is part of the Astro Ventilation system, and when you have your climate control settings adjusted to certain settings, it either opens or closes these flaps depending on if there is ventilation flowing through the interior. I believe non-A/C cars have this operational (my 73 is non-A/C and it works) and for A/C cars or convertibles, it may have these flaps permanently closed (not 100% sure of this.) It works when a combination of temp setting and type of vent is selected. There are drain tubes present there under the grills on all cars, which drain into the wheelwells.

How confusing. The switch simply turns on/off an electric fan that blow air across the rear window. Some cars had them, most didn't.

Nothing to do with the Astro Ventilation system, apples and oranges.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom