Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

76 automatic shifter mounting questions

C

curtis

I am putting in a stock automatic shifter for my 76. I reworked the detents for the 700R4. The car has never had an automatic shifter in it before. Does it bolt to the top of the tunnel with part of it hanging inside the tunnel?Does the forward end of it tuck up under neath the heater controls somehow? Am using a factory new shifter cable. It is very short and stiff. Can I bend it much to get it hooked to the new tranny without destroying it? It looks like the end of the shifter and the mount on the tranny for the cable are just about directly over each other and a severe s-curve would be needed for the cable. Lastly, I am so fed up with this change over , I wish I never started it. The car has been on blocks for almost a year and half. Anybody want to stop over and help me out before I set fire to this thing and have to settle for half the money I've go in it?

All of these answers pertain to my '79, your car may not be the same.
The cable on my '79 goes out directly under the heater controls.
The shifter bolts directly to the transmission tunnel. There is a lage hollowed out spot for the middle part of the shifter to fit in.
Do not put any sort of sharp bend in the cable, even for a minute when installing it. Are you sure that you have the correct cable?
If you need any pictures e-mail me at smericle@cox.net as I have my console side covers off currently since I just changed my shifter for a 4 speed auto conversion.

I'm going to convert my 76 to a 700-R4 auto and put a small motor in it so the Wife and boy can drive it I am planning on using a Lokar shifter they come in quite a few styles and legnths heres one:
standardshifter.jpg
http://www.lokar.com/interior_pages/shifters_knobs.htm

I really want to use a stock shifter and shifter plate for this install. With aftermarket shifter, it appears the plate would have to go or be highly modified. How were you going to approach that Bossvette?

I don't have a stock shift plate when I did my TKO conversion in 1999 there wasn't a offset shifter for the Vette so I made my own shift plate
DSC01155.JPG

so you see that is not an issue for me ;)

Wish I didn't have any issues. Your install looks very nice, but I need the ashtray and lighter. If I don't end up using the stock unit, then I guess I'll have to do something along the lines of yours. Any more ideas. let me know.

Your shifter is mounted on top of the console. Hope these picture's will help you a little :)

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

Greetings Peter.

that looks like finding a stock shifter from an 82 that had a 700R-4 would be the cheapest way to go for you just use some self tapping screws to mount it.

BTW you will like the 700R4 when it is all said and done and your wallet will thank you now the next is EFI

Thanks for all your help. You guys are terrific. Hope is alive again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom