Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

76 Kelsey Aluminum Rims

Mother's and the Power Ball Mini hooked to a drill. 120V drills seem to have a little more speed than cordless drills do and that seems to really help the polish. Start out by wetting the power ball and then squeezing all the water out. Keep it moist.

I thought these wheels were clear sealed from the factory, have your's been stripped of the sealer? Mine have and they polish up great.

I used Mother's metal polish and a powerball/drill. I put the polish on with a rag until the polish started turning black and then finished it off with the powerball and then a wipedown/buff with another rag. Worked well. Mine shined up really nice yesterday. Now to get them mounted :)
As far as I know, the wheels are not clearcoated.

I don't believe the early wheels were clearcoated. The ones on my '76 were not.

I used to do it by hand. just tried the powerball. It is worth every penny. Easiest and best polishing the wheels have ever had.

the wheels on my 76 had the powder coating. whether they were original equipment or not, I do not know... however; i used airplane grade stripper to get the discolored coating off and then a lot of polishing with buffs and grits, then repainted the centers. Now they just rinse off nice and clean and need very little attention.

...I thought these wheels were clear sealed from the factory...

Yup. Some of them were clear coated. Can't recall the specific years. The 80-82 wheels are not supposed to be clear coated. Apparently GM stopped the clearcoat after owner complaints of chipping, lifting, and clouding up.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom