Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 76 L48 Mini Starter Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

ykf7b0

Corvette
Buckskin 1976 Stingray
I have just recently bought a Powermaster 9100 Mini Starter for my 1976 L-48 with TH350 transmission with a 168 tooth flywheel. This starter is universal for 153 or 168 tooth flywheels depending on which mounting holes is used. My problem is the starter bendix gear doesn't come close to engaging my 168 tooth starter ring gear. It is mounted correctly but it seems the bendix is positioned to far away from the ring gear to begin with and the travel is at least 1 1/2 inches short. The factory type starter is the staggered bolt Delco and works fine but I'm installing headers necessitating the need for the mini starter. For those of you who have ran into this problem which starter did you use? Thanks!!! Greg

Don't know about the Powermaster starter, but have seen similar comments about the GM Performance #12361146 high torque mini starter. Complaints with it centered around properly shimming the starter and that additional shims were required for some while others had no luck at all to get it to fit up properly. I was considering using it on a project of mine but after reading those reviews, ended up using the GM Performance #10465143 instead. This is little comfort for your situation, but have you tried contacting Powermaster with your concerns. They may be able to advise you how to correct the fit.

Good luck with your project.

Don't know about the Powermaster starter, but have seen similar comments about the GM Performance #12361146 high torque mini starter. Complaints with it centered around properly shimming the starter and that additional shims were required for some while others had no luck at all to get it to fit up properly. I was considering using it on a project of mine but after reading those reviews, ended up using the GM Performance #10465143 instead. This is little comfort for your situation, but have you tried contacting Powermaster with your concerns. They may be able to advise you how to correct the fit.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks!!! I plan on giving Powermaster tech support a call in the morning to gain a better understanding.....I hope.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom