Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starter Issue

Drwhitesr

Corvette
1980 C3 Corvette Red Coupe
I installed a new PowerMaster reduction gear starter on my 1980 Vette.
The powermaster replaced the original starter. When the engine was at operating temperature the original starter would labor to turn over the engine.

The now that the installation is complete the new starter only clicks and will not turn the engine over. I have checked to make sure that the clearance between the starter gear and the ring gear is within specs.

I have charged and load tested the 6 month old battery. It tested Ok.

I replaced the ground cable from the engine to the chassis. All mating surfaces are clean and star washers were used under all connections to ensure we have a good connection at all locations.

Any thoughts why the starter will not turn over the engine. I want to ask for thoughts before I condemned the new starter.

Thanks for any input you can provide. Doug

I installed a new PowerMaster reduction gear starter on my 1980 Vette.
The powermaster replaced the original starter. When the engine was at operating temperature the original starter would labor to turn over the engine.

The now that the installation is complete the new starter only clicks and will not turn the engine over. I have checked to make sure that the clearance between the starter gear and the ring gear is within specs.

I have charged and load tested the 6 month old battery. It tested Ok.

I replaced the ground cable from the engine to the chassis. All mating surfaces are clean and star washers were used under all connections to ensure we have a good connection at all locations.

Any thoughts why the starter will not turn over the engine. I want to ask for thoughts before I condemned the new starter.

Thanks for any input you can provide. Doug

What is the voltage on the battery terminals before cranking the engine, and as the starter "clicks"?

When I connect my load tester to the battery the meter shows 12.9 volts. After load test the battery shows 12.4 volts. 6 month old Interstate Battery.

When I connect my load tester to the battery the meter shows 12.9 volts. After load test the battery shows 12.4 volts. 6 month old Interstate Battery.

Ok, two questions. What is the CCA rating of your battery, and how many amps are you pulling out of the battery at 9.6V? What is the battery voltage at your battery cables when static, and when you try to start the engine and get the "click"? What is the voltage differential?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom