Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'76 Rear Main Seal

Jake1798

Corvette
1976 Stingray 350 4Spd
Got some oil leaking bad out of the rear of my engine and I'm suspecting the rear main seal. It's the standard '76 350 engine so what does this mean in terms of the rear main? Is it a 1 or 2 piece and do I have to remove the tranny to replace it or can it be done with the oil pan removed?

-Jake

Yours is a two-piece seal.It can be replaced by dropping the pan.Ive done it once on a truck a long time ago.Just be careful not to scratch or damage the main bearing and keep every thing clean,clean,clean.When you put the new seal in offset it a little to help with future leaks.Good luck

Got some oil leaking bad out of the rear of my engine and I'm suspecting the rear main seal. It's the standard '76 350 engine so what does this mean in terms of the rear main? Is it a 1 or 2 piece and do I have to remove the tranny to replace it or can it be done with the oil pan removed?

-Jake
Before you get in a Big Toot, check the Oil Pressure sending unit!! There bad to start leaking!!!It would be a Real PITA to drop the pan and change the seal and find out it was a $18.00 sending unit!!:upthumbs :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom