Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

76 Steering Wheel Project

Corvette
76 Coupe
I have a factory 76 steering wheel and I am sick of it. Mostly I want to put on a better wheel like a Grant. Problem is that no one makes a wheel to fit the 76. As a result I want to start a project to devise an adaptor of some sort so us 76 owners can enjoy a better looking wheel in our ride. I am asking for volunteers to send me some old parts so that I may figure out what it takes to make a better wheel fit and look right. I really don't want to tear mine apart in my car for experimentation as it is all I have. Some junk parts or leftover stuff from another build are sorely needed and I will return them all at the end of the project. We really need to do this so we can modernize our 76 model year stingrays. Looks like parts needed will be a complete steering column with an old wheel. I will purchase a Grant that will fit most other vettes and do the adaptation to the 76 column. My son is a CAD designer and machinist so he will gladly help us out. Any of you 76 owners want to help?;help

the 76 was a Vega wheel (I believe column and all) Mine was missing parts when I bought it and underivable so I replaced it with a column from an earlier C3 and put a grant wheel on that.

I have an old wheel I can donate but no other parts. I have rerubrished my wheel and covered it with a Wheel Skins leather cover and it looks really good. Let me know if you want the old wheel.

Thanks anyway PC, but i think I really need a column and not a wheel. someday on my way to Arkansas to see my mom, I may try to look you up to kick the tires a bit if that's OK.. Meanwhile, I want to design an adaptor similar to the one on this site, search for part # 5196-1. http://www.grantproducts.com/default.html . The problem with that adaptor is it cost way too much, and is specific to the grant steering wheel mounting hole pattern. If I left the installer to drill and tap his own mounting holes in the top, you could mount virtually any steering wheel on the heretofore impossible to replace 76 wheel.

Stop by anytime we can go for a drive and have a beer, I hope you get it worked out let me know if you think of something I can help with.

Hey Crutis just checking on old threads, did anything ever come of this?

Well, the project kinda got put on hold as other more pressings things came up, like major surgery and job loss. It is still in my mind for the future. thanks guys for your help.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom