Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

'78-'82 Rear Window

B

bankboy

Hi.
I have decided that I want a Corvette; I know. Big surprise, huh? My question is this; I have narrowed it down to a '78 to '82 model and what I am trying to find out is did the Rear Window open on the '78/'79 or did this start in '80?
I realize this may seem to be a very basic question but I have not been able to find the answer in any of the books I have read.

Thanks.

I believe the only one that opened was the 1982 collector edition. There was a kit offered for a while, but I don't think you can find those anymore.

The others are sealed shut all the time.

Hope that helps, and welcome to CAC.

Just to confirm, 69myway. 82 Collectors Edition is the only model year to have the "hatch back" in the C3. It was the prelude to the new C4 body style that had the same hatch opening.

personal opinion

I don't think I'd like my 78's hatch to open.
It would encourage me to place purchases on the vette body, possibly causing scratches.
For the 82CEs out there, and Nut...how often do you use or open your hatch?
The only benefit I can see is it would perhaps give you more room for playing with the speakers in the back and cleaning / detailing the interior.
Heidi

Hatch

bankboy,

As all have said, the '82CE is the only C3 that the hatch was available. My '81 had the C&C kit installed over 21 years ago. Cars & Concepts (C&C) made the kit for Chevrolet and made aftermarket ones for a number of years but they have been out of business for over a decade. If you want a hatch you have two options:

a. Find a C&C kit. Yes, one came available new on eBay last year. Seller was an old C&C Distributor and found one in a warehouse. The guy got over $2700 for it.

b. Salvage yard. Get one removed from a '82CE and have a pro install it. Trust me.

Heidi...... As the years have rolled by I use the hatch less. The pull cable is getting stretched and I'm paranoid that it will brake. Replacement parts of ANY kind are virtually impossible to find. I mostly will open it for suitcases, groceries and cleaning the window. The bigest risk is belt buckles, pagers/phones and zippers when leaning in to place/remove anything. But it is a sweet option.

........... Nut

Gotta agree with Nut, Heidi. The ability to open the C4 hatch vs the 82 not opening makes quite a difference. If the cost wasn't so prohibitive I'd have it done to the 82.

Carlo

Yep, the CE is the only C3 with lift up window. that's why I bought a CE (among other reasons) :D

Howdy yall,
Your right on the CE as I saw 1 listed on Ebay awhile back and that was his big draw to it.He had it open in 1 of the pics.I do agree with heidi on the point of not wanting to set things on the backend though as it would be easy to do if you weren't thinking at the time.

There's a guy in our club with an '82 hatchback. It leaks (it's my understanding the hinges can deform over time). He's put some additional foam in place to help prevent this problem...but it doesn't look the greatest.

I wouldn't limit my purchasing decision because the car does or does not have a hatch...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom