Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78-82 Replacement Dash

JohnGrawcock

Corvette
Claret 82, Light Bronze 84, and Black 69 Vert
Has anyone else bought a replacement dash for their 78-82? I got one through Corvette Central, but I'm so disappointed with the quality of this thing that it's going to have to go back. The plastic used to form the structure is really thin, its doesn't have much meet in any of the screw locations, and there are no pre-drilled screw holes. It also has some surface defects. :mad

Don't take this wrong. I've certainly received lots of fine products from Corvette Central over the years, but this specific part is a big disappointment.

I'd like to find a dash from a different source. Has anyone bought one from Corvette America or some other source? How did the quality compare to what I described above?

I just bought one that is listed as imperfect. Haven't received it yet but got a great deal. From the pics it does look flimsy.

Run a search on dashes. Mine started cracking when I removed it so I just ripped it out in pieces expecting to buy another one. Afterwards, I searched for a dash site that I had seen that sells dashes and have them listed for different C3s. I later found out that you have to send them your dash and they use it to pattern the new one and they state that they make it with thicker material than the original. I didn't check the price because I didn't save mine. Might be an option for you.

I ran into the same thing. And then when you start making holes sometimes the screws just want to pop/tear right out. Nothing like the original ones. I made it work, but it wasn't easy. I still have to finish the glove box as I'm not happy with how it sits when closed.

Notice the indentation in the top. It actually "releived" itself after sitting in the car for a while. So if it's that type of thing, it will clear itself in time.

c3gs-051307l.jpg

c3gs071507b.jpg

FWIW: In a recent issue of Corvette Enthusiast magazine they have a how-to article on replacing the 78-82 dashes with a fairly long list of what to watch out for and where the replacements can expect to be tweaked. The swap is not a 100% bolt in.

:)

I ran into the same thing. And then when you start making holes sometimes the screws just want to pop/tear right out. Nothing like the original ones. I made it work, but it wasn't easy. I still have to finish the glove box as I'm not happy with how it sits when closed.

Notice the indentation in the top. It actually "releived" itself after sitting in the car for a while. So if it's that type of thing, it will clear itself in time.

c3gs-051307l.jpg

c3gs071507b.jpg
Who made your dash? Supposedly there are only two manufacturers making these replacement units. Al Knoch and Corvette America. The one I currently have is from Al Knoch. I've contacted Corvette America. They said they would send me some pictures of the back side of one of their units for comparison. I'm hoping it's better.

By the way; I really like your custom gauge clusters and the six speed.
:upthumbs

Mine was all from Corvette America. They even custom made the door panels and carpet for me (Torch-red was not available obviously for an 81). It took some doing but I will say that I am very happy with the end result. It takes some tweaking but with a little effort it works.

As you can see here, all the bumps worked themselves out in no time.

fs-be-4.jpg

ps: Thanks! :w

FWIW: In a recent issue of Corvette Enthusiast magazine they have a how-to article on replacing the 78-82 dashes with a fairly long list of what to watch out for and where the replacements can expect to be tweaked. The swap is not a 100% bolt in.

:)

I'll have to look for that issue. My dash comes in in a cpl of days

Mine was all from Corvette America. They even custom made the door panels and carpet for me (Torch-red was not available obviously for an 81). It took some doing but I will say that I am very happy with the end result. It takes some tweaking but with a little effort it works.

As you can see here, all the bumps worked themselves out in no time.

fs-be-4.jpg

ps: Thanks! :w
SWEET !

Andy Anderson

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom