Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78 convertible conversion project

Dumb question ? What about a conversion where you do not have the rag top? Only a removeable hard top. Would be a lot simplier to build and would be OK for someone that just drives the car in the summer...

Any ideas ? Thanks

Dumb question ? What about a conversion where you do not have the rag top? Only a removeable hard top. Would be a lot simplier to build and would be OK for someone that just drives the car in the summer...

Any ideas ? Thanks

for that scenario why bother with a top at all?

steves74 said:

Any ideas ? Thanks

for that scenario why bother with a top at all?

I agree bossvette- it doesn't make much sense.

Playing devil's advocate here... I don't drive my 80 on days that aren't sunny. I have been caught in the occasional sprinkle- and yes, having T-tops really helps out then!

I think a soft top is better than no top.

Any ideas ? Thanks

It's not being simpler, it is cheaper. At this point I am about to buy a hardtop for this project because I found a great deal. Having it will give me protection on bad weather days.

So far the best deal I have found on a frame is around $500. A reconditioned one can go around $2500. So, if this deal comes thru I will buy the hardtop and use it and wait until I find the right deal on a frame for the soft top. If the hardtop deal comes thru then the entire project will be under $1500. If I take my time and look for the right top at the right price, I will still be well below the estimated $5000 that has been suggested and have both tops for the car.

Is it? I wasn't sure what kind of price that was. What about a hardtop? I figure avg is around $1000. That sound about right?

I've seen hardtops in somewhat reasonable shape from $500 to $1200. Depends on how much work you want to do and whether you want the optional vinyl trim.

:)

I paid $495 for my frame it was in better shape then most I saw at Carlisle for $600-800 the repro's go for about $2500 when researching I found a Corvette junk yard that has them for $800 supposedly good usable quality; which is about average price.

Got me a hardtop today in grat shape. I never knew they had a vinyl option. After seeing some pics, I think it looks pretty good so going to order the vinyl kit and have it put on. Now that I have a top I can take my time and search for a deal on a frame.

Why do you need the soft top? Just buy a hard top, if you want or need one at all.

There was an 81 conversion that was halfway done, but had the soft top frame installed on ebay for several months. I think it sold for about $4,000.00

Why do you need the soft top? Just buy a hard top, if you want or need one at all.

There was an 81 conversion that was halfway done, but had the soft top frame installed on ebay for several months. I think it sold for about $4,000.00

I just wanted the soft top for the convenience if I was out and got caught in rain. If I buy one it'll be because I found a deal. Will probably just get a cockpit cover and store in the back in case of rain.

Update on vert project

Got a good start on the car this spring then had too many things come up causing it to go on the back burner. I have pics of the process, I just need to post them. Right now, I have everything from the windshield to the back of the car disassembled. A new interior is in the garage and waiting to be installed. Probably 99% of all the parts that were needed for the conversion are in the garage also.

I went crazy and cut everything off the rear, removed most of the paint off the car. I needed a brace under the rear deck and that put me a cpl of months behind finding someone who sold them and waiting for it to be back ordered.

At this point, I am about to bond the rear deck in place and install the interior. It really hasn't been that hard of a project. The biggest slow down has been lack of knowledge on how to do it. I caused more problems for myself 2nd guessing everything. At one point I regretted starting it because the car would be finished right now if I had left the t-tops on. Now that I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and have a little more knowledge than I started with, it has been a good experience that I am glad that I started.

I need to get some of the pics posted.

You will need to cut down the pillar posts then box the rear and top of it. because towards the top of it there is a bracket that secures that pillar post to the wheel wells. you can do without the door wedges though, that pillar post should also have angle elongated holes if its like my 82 thats where you mount the soft top to. but to door it might be hard since the verts inner mounting plate that the bolts went into was able to slide. I had all the specific convertible parts so mine was less challenging then yours.

you will also need convertible door glass or maybe have yours cut but not sure cutting them will work expect to pay big bucks now for the door glass and without the door glass no way will a soft or hardtop work anyways.

where the t-top center bar was just weld in 1/16th inch steel and bolt the ceter top latch thing to.

the deck hinges will fit your floor fine.

I can't say how to deal with adapting the rear floor panel part that rises to the decklid since I used a factory convertible one on my car. but a 74-77 coupe rear panel looks the same.

as for the decklid no help there either. I had to fill the 75 gas fill hole and graft my 82 filler section in place but a problem is this the 78-82 gas lid isnt flat and when on a vert it's noticeable. maybe filler could be used to eliminate this issue.

These aren't the latest pics. Since these were taken, the posts have been taken down further. Haven't tried the gas cap lid yet but am thinking about putting on a lemans cap anyway. I already have the vert glass. Found it on the forum for $50 both sides. I think the price new I had found was $150. The doors have been stripped and repainted. I just need to reinstall all of the guts and the windows.

Not putting on a soft top. I have a hardtop that will be used if weather doesn't look favorable. I have all the parts to mount the hinges, just haven't gotten to that yet. That's next on my list so that I can locate the brace in the correct position and bond it to the deck. Once that is done, I am ready to mount the deck permanently. I still need to order a new rear bumper. Also am looking into getting a new hood to give me more clearance for whichever engine I decide to go with.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom