Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

78 corvette in storage

J

John 1

Hi, I have found a 1978 25th Silver Anniversary Corvette that has 20,762 miles on it for $5,000 is it a good deal? It has been stored for eight years the way G.M. said to store it. What do i need to do to get it back into working order?

Hey John, welcome to the Corvette Action Center. I'm going to move this thread over to the '68-'82 section where you'll probably get more feedback :)

Jay

Hi John,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center. Given the mileage, I'd say it's a very good deal....however, that depends on the condition. 8 years of storage can be hell on an automobile depending on how well it was prepared prior to storage.

Was there anything wrong with it before it went into Storage? Why has it been in storage for so long? What is the condition of the engine, and rubber related components in and around the car?

I see that you're from VA. I'm in Reston. I'm not sure where you are in relation to me, but if you'd like someone to go look at it with you and it's within a reasonable distance from me, give me a shout.

First you need to buy it and put it in your garage.

Second, figure out what all has gone bad from sitting. Often, sitting will destroy the tires, hoses, belts, seals, battery, and cause other greased moving parts to dry up and freeze up.

IMHO I think you will need to plan on complete fluid, hose, and fuel change.

If you do the work yourself, maybe $500 for battery, hoses, belts, gas, fluids, etc. Maybe $750 to $1000 for a pro to bring it back to life for regular service.

Sounds like a great deal.

the price is right

Sounds like a good deal to me. Do be sure you check everything the others mentioned. Safety first.
Silver
(sig pic may not work)

If I had room in my garage I'd buy it myself. I just recently saw an ad in my Penny Saver mag for a '82 Collector Edition; asking $7000. I thought it was a typo (meaning $17000) which would not be unreasonable for a real clean '82CE. Guess what, found out today it went for $6500. The guy needed the cash bad. It is worth the ride to check it out. Sometimes deals come along that you just can't pass up. But DO check it out thoroughly first.

Good Luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

......... Nut

Not long ago I saw a 78 silver anniv w/ 14k for milage in excellent condition, listed with an appraised value of $25,000. Provided the storage was done correctly you could expect to change a few dryed out oil seals, belts, hoses, battery, and tires. Like has been said, it appears to be a steal.

"First of all, buy it a put in your garage"

Good one Chris . . . if John doesn't want it, I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket . . .

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom