Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! 79' Corvette Headlight Problem

Totalamnesia

Corvette
1979 Silver L82
I just bought a 79' Corvette in great condition, with only a few problems. One of the problems is the headlights. They will not come up at all. I checked the hose connections under the steering column and on the headlight switch. Can anyone help?

Devin

Do you have or have access to a vacuum pump...preferably a hand operated one...to check to see if you system will hold a vacuum...short of that,check your lines to make sure they are not cracked or split....
Also check the seals around the actuators,look around the can(in the middle between the headlamps),to be sure it doesn't have any holes in it or starting to rust thru....
Its a starting point to check...
Good Luck!!!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Also you can push them doors open from the bottom if you can reach up in there.....
Do it gently! !!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I found the link above to be dead. So here's one to keep ya busy.
P.S. - There's sometimes reference to a 'wiper' vacuum system in articles, this only applies to the 'bumper cars' with the wiper door.
Vacuum System
:beer

I have a vacuum pump. Where should I start?

Check/follow the diagrams in the links, and isolate each component and apply vacuum to check for leaks. You can do this with lines and fittings as well.
Be sure the method you use to block/crimp lines seals leak free.
I have a box of 'terminators' that I made to block-off ports and fittings. Made from small scraps of various rubber hose sizes with bolts, screws and plugs in one end.
I use tape to mark each component/line as they're checked with any notes.
:beer

I have a vacuum pump. Where should I start?

In terms of 'most likely'

1) ensure lines are connected and routed correctly
2) forward inner seal on either actuator AKA 'witches hat'
3) one or both relays

Be aware that most systems have multiple leaks (they're over 30 years old) so don't stop when you've found the first one. I think I found at least 5 on mine that needed fixing to at least make it 'acceptable' but still far short of factory original performance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom